• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Jabs

lil860

Warren Scout
My bun Louie is about 2 years old and has never been vaccinated against Myxomatosis. My local vets is doing a half price jab this month with free Panacur paste and a health check. I am going to take him to have this done will he be ok have i left it too late with him being nearly 2 years old. Any advise grateful :D

My bun Louie is about 2 years old and has never been vaccinated against Myxomatosis. My local vets is doing a half price jab this month with free Panacur paste and a health check. I am going to take him to have this done will he be ok have i left it too late with him being nearly 2 years old. Any advise grateful :D

It will be fine to get it done and he will need revaccinating every 6 months for the rest of his life :)

Thanks are there any side effects?

Very rare
Sometimes a slight local skin reaction at the site of innoculation. If your Rabbit has ever had Snuffles then there is a slight chance that their symptoms will return a few days after the vaccination. But this is most certainly not a frequent occurrence.
It is very important that the Vet administers 10% of the vaccine intradermally. This can be done by either administering the intradermal part into the earbase where the skin is thickest. Alternatively the Vet can rely on their own 'injection skills' and do all the vaccination into the scruff making sure that they pull the needle back to administer the 10% intradermal dose.

Ambers going in later today for her 2nd Myxi jab - hope she behaves and doesn't let the side down ;) I will ask the vet about myxi in my area and will post it on here later.

I couldn't tell you how my vet gives the injection as i can't watch :oops: (i know i'm lucky and have got a bun friendly practice though!) She was totally fine with no side effects last time, although after the VHD jab she sulked for a day after!

Injections for Myxi and Vhd are important , they can both kill . Mine are done every six months for Myxi although if you are able you can learn to inject yourself and you can buy vaccine from france, vhd needs to be done by a vet! as if you mis-inject you can lose fingers!

Injections for Myxi and Vhd are important , they can both kill . Mine are done every six months for Myxi although if you are able you can learn to inject yourself and you can buy vaccine from france, vhd needs to be done by a vet! as if you mis-inject you can lose fingers!

How so? Not planning on injecting myself just wondering

Yes she will be fine when I had my first ever bunny I was never told about vaccinations, she only went down to the vets to have her nails clipped and then I had her done when I found out about these diseases she was about 3 and was fine! (Stupid vets didnt even tell me about them!!! Dont worry I have moved vets now:D lol) Myxi needs doing every six months now and VHD is every year, I should have her done as both these diseases are really not nice nad can kill bunnies:(

None of mine have ever had a reaction to myxo jab, and it gives you such peace of mind to know that they're as well protected as they can be.

How so? Not planning on injecting myself just wondering

It's got something to do with the carrier oil that it comes in, it can literally kill off your finger :shock:

I agree with the others - I would definitely get it done, you can't undo the past but you can protect your bun in the future - you do have to continue to have it done though, as immunity only lasts for a period of about 6 months.

Amber had her jab yesterday (much to her disgust!)

The vet said that Myxi is quite high risk in Oxfordshire and she hasn't seen as many cases for a very long time:(

We don't have a myxo vacc in Aus, but we do for VHD. Myxo is an awful, awful way for buns to die so if you can prevent it please, please do.

VHD can kill with no warning whatsoever - they're both so deadly.

Myxo needs twice yearly boosters, VHD just once a year.

Reactions are very rare. The risk of not vaccinating is much higher.

Sad thing is, is that it's not the people on here that need to be reminded or told, it's people who have buns that don't bother much with them or don't know enough about these horrible diseases:(

I wish feed/pet shops would have posters in them to tell/remind people.

Back