• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

whats a good diet for a show rabbit??

A good diet for ANY rabbit not just a show rabbit is 80% hay, then the remaining 20% made up of fresh veg and pellets. There is no need to give more than an egg cup of pellets a day.

Just out of curiousity, how do you decide if your rabbit is show worthy?

Its not something I'm interested in doing myself but just curious

Tika is show quality. Its not something I agree with but I did get her from a rescue but they have to have certain length ears, coat has to be a certain way etc etc.

breeder

Just out of curiousity, how do you decide if your rabbit is show worthy?

Its not something I'm interested in doing myself but just curious

the rabbit breeder, sed she would make a good show rabbit and she has the right position for it i suppose!:lol::D:)

I think the ideal diet for a show rabbit would be the same for any rabbit, like they all deserve.
Good quality pellets and hay, handful of veggies and lots of excercise, love and care (clean hutch etc.)

You will need to learn to pose her to show her. Have you been training her?

Some breeders feed medicated pellets. Do NOT touch these with a barge pole because they wreck the rabbits immune system. A lot of breeders feed a mix, again, don't use that. You need a basic pellet.

what you need to remember is that not ever nethie is show quality, and whilst she may have the right ear length, face shape, etc, that does not mean that she will naturall be the right size.

Unless your bunny is fat then she doesn't need a diet, and it might be that she is a BUD ('Big Ugly Doe') who is still a purebred and may look very good, but is too big to show. If that's the case, slimming her down would not be right and not be in her best interests.

You will need to learn to pose her to show her. Have you been training her?

Some breeders feed medicated pellets. Do NOT touch these with a barge pole because they wreck the rabbits immune system. A lot of breeders feed a mix, again, don't use that. You need a basic pellet.

what you need to remember is that not ever nethie is show quality, and whilst she may have the right ear length, face shape, etc, that does not mean that she will naturall be the right size.

Unless your bunny is fat then she doesn't need a diet, and it might be that she is a BUD ('Big Ugly Doe') who is still a purebred and may look very good, but is too big to show. If that's the case, slimming her down would not be right and not be in her best interests.

yes i have trained her and i do use excel rabbit normal pelets!:D:) all i need to do now, is find a club to put her in! but she isn't ugly!:( and she isn't fat!!!:evil::cry:

If she's not fat, then really she doesn't need to lose weight, so her natural weight might just be naturall above show weight. And whilst I said she might be a BUD, that doesn't mean she is ugly, it just means she is too big to show. I have a few BUDs and they are gorgeous, lovely rabbits. So please don't be offended, I didn't mean she was ugly, that's just what they call nethies without the dwarfing gene.

Have you been on the BRC website and contacted those in the area near you? That might be a good way in.

:(
If she's not fat, then really she doesn't need to lose weight, so her natural weight might just be naturall above show weight. And whilst I said she might be a BUD, that doesn't mean she is ugly, it just means she is too big to show. I have a few BUDs and they are gorgeous, lovely rabbits. So please don't be offended, I didn't mean she was ugly, that's just what they call nethies without the dwarfing gene.

Have you been on the BRC website and contacted those in the area near you? That might be a good way in.

YUP been on there found a club and we have rung up the womon, 5 times but it keeps going onto answer fone!:evil::cry: nvm!

You can see what shows are on on the BRC website, and then just go along the one near you. I've been to a few shows and belong to no clubs.

They all look quite fat compared to my Tinkerbell :shock:

I will weigh her later on I think.

Maybe I don't know enough about showing rabbits, but I really don't see the harm in it. A show rabbit has to have a shiny coat, be the ideal weight for it's breed, and be all around in perfect condition. I think that's what we all strive for for our bunnies, regardless of whether or not we want to show them.

I have heard that it can be stressful, but some bunnies are so laid back that it doesn't affect them. You just have to know your rabbit and whether or not they could handle a show.

Plus, I would think you could use shows as an opportunity to educate others. If someone came up and asked me about my rabbit at a show, I would tell them how much work a rabbit is, but how rewarding it is as well. I would explain that my rabbit is more like a dog than a rabbit. :lol:

As long as the rabbit is not stressed at a show, I think it can be a very good thing.

But regardless of whether or not you want to show a rabbit, you should always keep her at a healthy weight with a shiny beautiful coat. :)

I looked into showing once and decided against it as it can stress the rabbit out. Also SOME breeders who show rabbits, when they breed them and the babies do not have the right markings etc, put them in the fridge or just kill them. Also allot dont vaccinate or neuter so the poor rabbit has to live on his/her own :cry: I know this because I take in allot of rabbits who are no longer good for breeding or showing so i would never support the showing world.

Back