• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ms

:wave: Hi, I am brand new to this site (tried to use it when I first got rabbits, but I'm no good with I.T.) I have two RSPCA rescure rabbits which I have had for 18 month, My male keeps getting a water infection, he has just had antibiotics from the vet and now he is smelling again like he has another infection, can anyone help.

Thanks
mum of Thumper & Blackberry

hi welcome aboard.

hmm im afaraid the only thing is to go back to your vet again....

is oyur bunny panacured regulalry as EC can cause problems like this.
We had alovley bunny a few years ago now and he used to get it often and really smell bad and keep peeing in his tray or trying to...the vets eventually took him in to be xrayed and discovered he had bladder crystals quite bad.

the diet has to be rethought..he adored kale and broccoli and cauliflower and greens etc...all of which are highin calcium which cause bladder sludge etc and eventually crystals/stones.

if i were you id seek the vets advice again asap....good luck:wave:

I agree that you need to go back to your Vet
Does your Rabbit have a history of passing thick sludgey urine?
Is he drinking alot and has he lost weight?
Has your Rabbit had any diagnostics-eg an abdominal Xray, blood screening, Urinalysis?

How long was the course of antibiotics? Sometimes a long course is required to fully clear the infection.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your info, I am getting quite worried about little Thumper as he is looking pretty messy underneath, clogged orange fur, i've dunk him in salt water as vet suggested (he seems to like this actually) and I've brought him in to keep my eye on him. He seems has lost his fur from his legs not sure if that was the cream the vet gave me. He has lost weight and drinks a lot as you suggested, think i'll take him back to vet. Thanks for your replies it really has helped.

Little Thumper's mum

Let us know how he gets on. I have 2 cats with crystals in there bladder's and it can be treated through diet and medication.

Hi there,

Is your vet rabbit savvy? I only ask because I find it odd that a vet would suggest salt water baths for a bun. Especially to clear away a bladder infection, salt would irritate the already sensitive skin.

When one of my buns had a mucky bum I washed his bott with a very mild oatmeal shampoo (good for sensitive skin). You may also need a barrier cream so his little belly doesn't get urine scald.

Dear little bun bun.

Cucumber is good to keep them hydrated if he can tolerate it. I agree with the others, I'd try to cut down his dark green leafy veg until the problem is resolved. That may need to be a permanent thing with his problem.

I agree with Aussiebun :)

Also, your Rabbit appears to be displaying symptoms consistent with bladder sludge/stones. It is extremely important the Bun is seen by a Rabbit Savvy Vet ASAP as the problem can eventually progress and cause irreparable Kidney damage.

Diagnostics a Rabbit Savvy Vet may suggest would be an abdominal Xray and a full blood profile. Treating any infection is obviously important. But sometimes infection is a secondary symptom not the primary problem.
Your Bun will be in considerable discomfort, especially as urine scald is apparently present so he will require analgesics too.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for all your advise, I took Thumper back to vets tonight as when I got home from work I noticed him walking sidewards and not looking uncomfortable, vet gave him injection, some fucidern to put on the swelling near is bits and baytril to put in his water, i'm not sure if to carry on with dunking him in salt water, ved didn't say anything about that, I am worried he looks so pityful.

I'll keep you updated Chris mum of B & T, I will try to put his photo on forum so you can see how cute he is.

:wave: noooo no more salt baths:shock:

the fuciderm is a type of antibacterial cream..you could also use sudocrem at a push if you run out.
the injection was probably an antiinflammatory/pain relief.
i dont igve my buns baytril in water..theyd never drink that!! i give it to them right into their mouths by syringe....

baytril is sooooo bitter..our old vet said some folks had used neat ribena to mix it with for oral uses....ewww..i have tasted that method..by accidnet of course....after dosing buns..nasty!!

No more salt baths. I am astounded that a vet would suggest it in the first place. Buns skin is so sensitive, and when you add an infection and irritated skin on top it's, oh I can't even comment.

Please try to find a rabbit savvy vet asap. The above was not directed at you, but at your vet - you are being a lovely bunny mummy trying to make your bun better, unfortunately you've got a :censored: vet.

Gently bathe his belly with warm water and a very mild oatmeal shampoo, making sure it's thoroughly rinsed off. I use oatmeal for that very reason - it rinses away very easily so it won't irritate the already sensitive skin.

Re Baytril in water, bun prob won't drink it as it won't taste nice. My Barney will only take baytril mixed with neat ribena via syringe.

Poor little bunny, I hope he feels better soon.

Hi, I will get some oatmeal shampoo is this something from the health shop or from vets, also if I give Thumper the baytril neat with cordial through sringe what quantity do I mix? I have let him exercise in loung before I got to work, he is still weak on one side, will look for savvy vet whilst at work later. Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it. Chris mum of T & B

You could get the shampoo from either a health food shop or the vet - health food shop might be a bit cheaper.

Re the ribena, I have to mix it in an equal amount to the Baytril, Barney won't take it any other way, lol. You could try 50/50 first if you like. It's best to pop him on a towel in the empty sink (with the plug in), hold up his front legs and gently tip the shampoo mixed with water over his belly, if you try to put him in a "bath" he'll probably freak out. Barney quite enjoyed his nice, warm rinses I think, lol. Keep soaking the shampoo & water up in a flannel and ringing out over his belly a few times then rinse. It'd be best not to actually "rub" his belly as it's probably quite sore at the moment where he's had urine stains. I'd also get the barrier cream, and apply that after each bath.

Blackberry and cranberry juice are both very good for bladder infections.

You're welcome re the help, it must be very worrying for you, not to mention hard to leave him while he's so sick :(

Good luck, please keep me posted, I'm sending lots of healing vibes to your little bunny.

I'm horrified,when Daisy had the problems following her spay,I was told to bathe her wound twice a day with salt water.After a week or so this was changed to a dilute hibiscrub solution.Never thought it might be too harsh for her skin [sorry Daisy:oops:].

hello...how long is it between the antibiotics clearing it up & it coming back again?

I ask because my bunny sooty was first treated for urinary infection when he lost bladder control. The anti biotics seemed to have a bit of an effect after a week but as soon as they were stopped it came right back. Along with Janes recomendation for bladder sludge/kidney stones I would recomend a 28 course of Panacur paste incase he is sufferent from EC http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo10.html. Even if he does not have EC the panacur should not interfer with any of the other drugs that he is being given.

cranberry juice is also very good for helping a bun with a urinary infection (just like humans) by altering the ph of the urine to make it more acidic & therefor less friendly to bacteria & it also has a slight antibacterial effect. Don't give too much (a couple of table spoons a day in water)

I would never put baytril in water....you would not be able to ensure they had the right dose. I would go back and ask for syringes..you then syring into the mouth (get the vet to show you how).

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for all your advise, I took Thumper back to vets tonight as when I got home from work I noticed him walking sidewards and not looking uncomfortable, vet gave him injection, some fucidern to put on the swelling near is bits and baytril to put in his water, i'm not sure if to carry on with dunking him in salt water, ved didn't say anything about that, I am worried he looks so pityful.

I'll keep you updated Chris mum of B & T, I will try to put his photo on forum so you can see how cute he is.

cant say i use fuciderm much at all in rabbits. it contains steroids and rabbits are a steroid sensitive species. there is sufficient absorption into the system for this to be a concern for me
Goodluck

Poorly Thumper

Hi I've taken your advise, not bathed him tonight just put cream on, what other cream do you suggest as it has been mention steroid cream not good for rabbits (does the vet not know this do you think) should pay you guys as you seem to no more, didn't know anything about EC scary, you're right not touched his water no ribena will get some tomorrow, he seems a little brighter tonight when I got home, think i'll take him into the office with me tomorrow keep my eye on him, will get the oatmeal shamoo. It's a lot to take in, but he's worth it, Thanks again, oh forgot was asked how long since last treatment it was approx 10 days before he started again with problem.

Hmmm, only 10 days in between problems tells me that either the antib's he was on were the wrong ones for the infection or that the infection is a secondary problem i.e. bladder crystals etc.

I think that def warrants further investigation by a bunny savvy vet asap.

If you don't have the oatmeal shampoo yet you could just rinse him in warm water. No salt though. That would at least get the excess urine off which will help a little. Always make sure to dry your bun as much as poss afterwards.

I'd just get nappy rash cream for babies from the chemist for the barrier cream, it's perfectly safe, I used it on one of my old girls daily for the last 6 months of her life (she became a little incontinent, bless her), it did her no harm at all.

I've probably asked this before but is he a housebun? If not he really should be moved inside where you can keep a good eye on him.

I hope he's feeling better and you're not so worried now. Please keep us posted, and let us know how you get on at the vets.

Hugs.

Hi thank you so much for your concern, little Thumper was hopping around the lounge this morning so I decided to take him to work with me, I put him in one of our counselling rooms with engaged on the door, he seemed to be ok especially after feeding him huge dandilion leaves from the garden, still house bound and will be for some time, legs still no fur but urine smell not as bad, his girlfriend Blackberry outside in hutch all alone, taking them both to caravan this weekend for some TLC, do you think I am mad? forced fed his antibiotics as suggested today (not easy is it). have a good weekend, will keep you updated on the little fella.:D:):)

That's great Christine. Keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously starting to work.

I'd still find a bunny savvy vet and do further investigation on this though, 10 days between infections is not long at all, you need to know exactly what the problem is.

No, you're not mad at all to take your buns to the caravan, hehe, they deserve a holiday too :lol:

Please do keep us updated on Thumper's progress, hopefully the next update will be even better again!

Update on Little Thumper

Hi Thumper and girlfriend Blackberry had a good Bank Holiday in Matlock together, now home and she's outside and Thumper still resting inside. I took your advise and gave him the baytril mix with cordial fed straight in mouth with shringe. He is 100 times better now hopping on both legs, I have put his cream on his red swollen bits around his rear (the things you have to do eh) no urine smell, infection seems to have gone, swelling going down, loss of fur though on legs. He wants food constantly is that the antibiotics, I will keep him house bound for the rest of the week. Thank you so much for understanding and your valuable advise, I think non rabbit people think I'm mad cause I care so much for my rabbits, but that's their problem not mine. Chris mum of B & T.:wave:

Back