• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Strawberry

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I started bonding Strawberry this afternoon and im not really sure how it is going.

Strawberry keeps wanting to rub his chin on Snowdrop but she doesnt seem to like him much and keeps running away. This makes him chase her and she makes a funny grunting/wheezing sound. Strawberry has also eaten all the food that was meant for both of them so she hasnt had any!

They are now sat at opposites ends of the enclosure ignoring each other. There has been now grooming or cuddling up so far- but also no humping or biting, just alot of sniffing, chin rubbing and chasing.

Hi

I bonded my boy bun with a girl bun and it took him quite a few weeks for him to accept her. We've had her about 8 weeks now and it really has only been about the last couple of weeks that they have become inserparable.

They would ignore each other, then my boy bun would go over and have a sniff and groom her. There would be a few scuffles normally her trying to mount him! Even now they can still sit at opposite ends, and it looks like they have had a tiff, then an hour later they are cuddled up again.

I was worried at first but it seems it is quite normal for them to be like this. It just takes time for them to get to know each other, as long as they are not fighting it is probably best just to leave them to it, and let them both have the same routine the one you've had the longest had, they will become friends when they are both ready. I also found that treating them both the same and not showing one or the other as a favourite helps. Believe me buns can get jealous!

When they do eventually bond it is so cute seeing them kissing and cuddling up to each other.

Good luck.

Thanks. They have been cuddling and grooming all day but have gone back to humping and chasing now so have put them back in the tiny enclosure and am hoping it calms down as I want to get some sleep tonight!

Back