• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pregnant bunny any help????

dizzydi60

New Kit
My bunny Daisy (4 year old dwarf lop) and Gizmo (my new netherland dwarf x lionhead) both got into the same pen 3 times in one week I kept taking him out as he is not nutered yet as he is tiny and only 5 months and the vet told ne to wait another month to avoid dangers during surgery.........anyway .... on the 3rd time together I caught them at it (Naughty) I had him checked to see if he could father a litter and vet thinks yes. is daisy as risk being 4 she has not had any previous litters today she has began lying flat with her big belly spreding to both sides I had a feel of it and it's lumpy. I have given her cage a good scrub today as she is due 20th of april and thought this was the latest i wanted to leave it so from now on i will just clean her litter try as not to disturb anything too much in her cage. she is eating a lot more healthy this week (more stray and hay as she never really touches it other than the odd nibble) and fresh food is being eaten pelets not as much. any advice that anyone could give me for here on in would be fantastic. anything on what to feed her more of the same etc when will bunnys come out of the nest and should i remove them after 8 weeks? and after that when can gizmo go back in with her he will have been fixed foe 7 weeks at this point Thank you :D

Last edited:
Poor Daisy :cry:

There are risks for a Doe of 4 having a litter, especially the first :cry:
If she is due on the 20th then she will probably make a nest on the 18th/19th.
So provide a nestbox for her. She will go off her food for about 24 hours before kindling.

Please, please make sure the Buck cannot get to her when she kindles as he will mate her and she will be pregnant again :cry:

I think it would be wise to have your male bun neutered asap, because if he gets in with your female again she can become pregnant straight after giving birth.

I have been out and bought an escape proof run for both of them until he gets fixed he is booked in to be done in 3 weeks my vet wont do him yet said he is too small :( Their run's are next to each other so they dont forget eachother I feel like a parent of teenagers trying to keep them appart ha ha ha

She is at high risk of a stuck kit or other complications, so you will have to be very vigilant and have the ability to call your vet at any time during the day or night. You will need to look for signs of her straining, or bleeding, or being lethargic, shifting position, things like that, once she starts to kindle.

I would personally think there is a very slim chance of getting live kits, so your focus probably needs to be getting her through this all in one piece.

Another option, if you want to look at it, might be an emergency spay (obviously the sooner the better) but I think each vet differs as to when they will do that if they suspect a pregnancy.

My vets neutered Joey at four months and he was fine , so maybe look around for a vet who will do it now for you? I know how you feel my Scooch got pregnant sending vibes everything goes okay x

oh i am so worried for my little daisy she's a little fighter so hopefully everything will go well I wont sleep leading up to it my partner will find me asleep in her run ha ha ha I thought he'd be old enough too but the point blank refused to do it. like i said it is impossible for him to get near her now and he is booked in in 3 weeks time for the op so should be ok

I think it is more down to experience of the vet. Does gizmo have is plums? If he has both his plums, look for another vet to do the op asap. It is recommended the a male is not with a female for 4-6 weeks after their op, just incase there is any viable sperm wriggling.

If she does have live babies then they will need to be with her for 8 weeks, so it gives a good amount of time.

Once the babies are seperated, I would give her a months rest then have her spayed too. Female rabbits of that age are very prone to uterine cancer, which will shorten her life dramatically.

Good luck!!

I would look around for another vet and get him done sooner just in case another accident happens.... I really hope Daisy will be ok.

Back