• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dont want to get him 'done'

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I know he will have to be at some point neutrd but I cant bring myself to book Jack in. I've been reading so many sad posts about bunnies dying during the procedure. Jack is so friendly and I dont want to risk changing his personality. I cant afford a friend for him and wont be able to the forseable future. Do you think he'll be ok? He is 2 after all and doesnt seen 'frustrated' cant make the choice for another month anyway due to his VHD vac being due soon :)

The thing is if you can ever afford a friend it will be much nicer for him and if that happens in a few years time age will become an issue. I would get him done now and as soon as you can afford a wife for him hes ready. :)

Thing is, Im not allowed another bun whilst im living at home, so thats also another issue :( I'm just scared of losing him.

Thing is, Im not allowed another bun whilst im living at home, so thats also another issue :( I'm just scared of losing him.

hmm. i dont know if this is a factor but hes smell could cause your other two to fight. an unneutred bunny near domino and pebbles sets domino off from time to time, yet pb and j are unnaffected.

say in summer n there all out in their runs, the smell could cause a squabble.

hmm. i dont know if this is a factor but hes smell could cause your other two to fight. an unneutred bunny near domino and pebbles sets domino off from time to time, yet pb and j are unnaffected.

say in summer n there all out in their runs, the smell could cause a squabble.

I agree.
Plus he will feel very frustrated :cry:

I have had around 60 rabbits speyed/neutered and only lost one, this was due to a heart defect that the anaesthetic triggered.
He will feel frustrated, especially when he smells the other bunnies.

Maybe call round all the vets in your area and find the one who has the best survival rate because they will most likely be the most rabbit savvy. With a decent vet and being healthy, there are very minima risks.

If you are worried about his health being an issue maybe get blood tests and such done first to make sure he is as healthy as possible.

You tend to hear more about the bad neuters than the ones that go fine, as people tend to post for advice or consoling, whereas if the op went fine then there's not much to report. I bet if you posted a poll of neuters that had problems vs neuters that went fine, the latter would rocket ahead :)

Joeys neuter went off without a hitch he didn't even bite his stitches and he's still the same little mentalist as he ever was :wave:

my other 2 boys are neutered and had bad after effects due to licking their wounds. I will be getting him done but it won't be until may now.

I would get him neutered :D I had Marmite done at 4 yrs of age and I wish I did it sooner!! In the last 6 months he started to really smell and sprayed quite a lot too. If I had him done sooner, I could have got him his companion sooner too :oops: Marmite is older than your bun and he went through the op no probs :)

My boys were fine. its the girls that were trouble some. Princess got post op probs and Sophie nibbled her stitches out!

I agree with getting pre-anesthetic bloodwork done. Check to make sure his liver and kidneys are functioning well. Also, make sure they use glyco during the procedure to keep his heart strong. And make sure everything else is perfect beforehand.

All you can do is check all possible hitches. From there, you just have to trust your vet to take care of the little guy. Otherwise, if you wait, you might have to put him under anesthesia under worse circumstances, which will cause you a lot more worry. Just take a deep breath and trust that everything will turn out ok, with the proper precautions. :)

Back