• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snotty Nose

CHH

Warren Scout
Smudge has a bit of a snotty nose. He also seems a bit wheezy but is otherwise behaving normally. He's 7 years old. Our other 3 bunnies are all fine.

I've taken a pic of his nose but can't find it now I've uploaded it to the PC!! If I find it I'll post it.

In the meantine, is this anything we should be concerned about?

Smudge has a bit of a snotty nose. He also seems a bit wheezy but is otherwise behaving normally. He's 7 years old. Our other 3 bunnies are all fine.

I've taken a pic of his nose but can't find it now I've uploaded it to the PC!! If I find it I'll post it.

In the meantine, is this anything we should be concerned about?

If he sounds wheezy and has a nasal discharge he needs to be seen by a Vet. He may well have an Respiratory Tract Infection which will require antibiotic treatment.

I would advise you to take him to your Vet ASAP.

Good luck

Thanks.

Here's the pic. Some of it has obviously been wiped away when he was picked up as there was more than that. You can see what it's like though.......

DSCF6685%20(Small).JPG

I'd say he definately needs antibiotics. Hopefully the infection is confined to his upper respiratory tract. The sooner he sees the Vet the better.

Just a wee update to this. There was nothing that really concerned the vet. His teeth and tear ducts are fine and his chest sounded clear as a bell.

He's got a course of Baytril and we take him back in a fortnight for a check up.

His weight is unchanged at 1.81kg.

Just a wee update on this.

Two weeks of Baytril had no effect so the vet has given him a penicillin injection. He gets another on Thursday and a final one a week on Thursday. It's noticeable that his bogeys have pretty much cleared up since he got the first jab last Thursday though.

We also been given Bisolvon to help clear up any mucus that might be in his nose/tubes. He also seems to be a bit more active than he was when this first came to light. He spends less time snoozing!

Back