• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strawberry and wifey- Updated with pics

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
We have been looking for a wife bun for Strawberry for a while now and have finally been over to collect one this morning.She is called Snowdrop and was from the RSPCA in Walsall. She is a lovely big bunny and I have started trying to bond them today.

So far we have had a lot of chasing by Strawbs, a lot of chin rubbing everywhere by Strawbs and a lot of fur pulling! So no love at first site but I have two weeks off work so plenty of time to get them sorted. Snowdrop is currently ignoring Strawberry and is just sat in the corner look rather scared. i feel quite sorry for her as Strawberry is determined to prove he is top bun at the minute- he must quite like her really as he has been flopping out next to her which he doesnt normally do!

Be ready for lots of updates today and tomorrow! Will try get some pics later if i can find my camera cable.

A big thankyou to everyone who help out with finding Strawberry a wife!!!

Rach x

Last edited:
Sounds quite promising already. Hopefully they'll be all loved up soon!

Thanks. There isnt alot to take piccies of at the minute! Snowdrop is definately not a fan of Strawberry and keeps running away when ever he goes near her. Strawberry is busy chinning everything over and over, including her!

Any bonding experts- does this all sound normal? She keeps making a funny grunting noise when he goes near her and running off.

Awwh Snowdrop is gorgeous :love: Someone else on here rehomed one of Dellas babies recently too :)

Good luck with bonding xXx

DSCF9986.jpg

Here is Snowdrop

DSCF9984.jpg

And here they are ignoring each other!

I am not sure this bonding thing is working very well! As soon as Strawberry goes near Snowdrop she runs away which results in him chasing her. Strawberry is trying to rub his chin all over her and she is still making a funny wheezing type noise and jumping away from him.

Is this normal?

I am not sure this bonding thing is working very well! As soon as Strawberry goes near Snowdrop she runs away which results in him chasing her. Strawberry is trying to rub his chin all over her and she is still making a funny wheezing type noise and jumping away from him.

Is this normal?

I have become a fan of starting the bondings off in a Pet Carrier. No car journeys or anything. I just pop both Buns into the carrier with some hay and a water bottle. I then carry them around the house with me for a few hours.
Assuming all is OK I then put them into a very small enclosure with no litter tray or toys or anything they can become territorial over. I find that the less opportunity there is for chasing the less stressful the bonding, for both the Buns and for me !!

Thanks Jane. If the chasing continues over night I will put them in the carrier tomorrow. They have a litter tray at the minute but i might take that out if things dont improve overnight. Hopefully once Snowdrop has settled in better and is feeling more sure of herself it will get a little better! They dont hate each other as we have had no signs of fighting at all, I think the biggest problem is Snowdrop being nervous at the minute.

Thanks Jane. If the chasing continues over night I will put them in the carrier tomorrow. They have a litter tray at the minute but i might take that out if things dont improve overnight. Hopefully once Snowdrop has settled in better and is feeling more sure of herself it will get a little better! They dont hate each other as we have had no signs of fighting at all, I think the biggest problem is Snowdrop being nervous at the minute.

Yes I am sure that is the case. Hopefully in a few days she will gain confidence :)

Thanks.She hasnt eaten much tonight, only a tiny bit of hay and about 4 pellets. Is this ok? I think she has done some poos but i cant really tell whos are whos.

Awwwww, Snowdrop!!! :love: So nice to see that Snowdrop has gone to her new home today. I am the proud new hooman of Snowdrops sister, Caramel! We picked her up Friday evening and started the bonding process yesterday. You're Strawberry actually looks like Caramel :love:

If it makes you feel any better, what you are going through today, sounds like how we were getting on yesterday with Caramel & Biscuit. They actually started off boxing and were just a blur of rolling fluff. After the fur settled down to the ground, there was no more fighting, but lots and lots of running away from Caramel. By the time it was going dusk, I had seen Biscuit chinning Caramels ears and she didn't run. Last night they were enclosed in the shed together but in seperate halves so they could get used to each other's smells and noises. Today has been much more sucessful and they even had a nap together this afternoon. Caramel still runs if Biscuit approaches her too enthusiastically, I know it will take time for them to be completely comfortable with each other. Fingers crossed Snowdrop and Strawberry will make the same leap that my 2 have made tomorrow. The carrier idea make work better than an enclosure, so worth giving a try.

Oh, and Caramel didn't eat lot the first night, I think it just takes them a while to settle down.

Here's the link's to the pics of bonding days 1 & 2.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=175419

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=175572

Last edited:
Thanks! She will tolerate him sometimes but as soon as he goes near her back end she does a runner! I will nip to the shop tomorrow to get some different food to try and tempt her with. We need to do a shop so all we have at the min is carrot and grapes, both of which she isnt interested in at all!

Yep, it's Biscuit's fascination with Caramel's tail end that's the cause of all the running here too. It must be a normal thing then if both our new buns are doing the same thing.

Back