• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2ft hutches!!!! Shocked. Should I report the shop?

MissMinnie

Mama Doe
I went into a pet shop (non livestock) yesterday and they were selling a 2ft hutch!! They also had a 3ft with a picture of a rabbit on the door. I am prepared to confront the shop but what does anyone suggest? Should I phone the RSPCA? I was absolutely horrified. 2ft is miniscule.

I saw one in Focus last week, it was about 3ft long and 1ft deep and said on it 'Rabbit Hutch' but had pictures of guinea pigs on it :roll: talk about misleading labelling! Although to be fair to Focus there was a stack of collapsed runs immediatly next to the hutches and no signs or prices that I could see, so they could have been selling them with the run add-ons as one package. The label was still very misleading though...

we had an argument with a shop who told us they were for tortoises.... now come on.... anyhow im sure a tortoise needs mroe room too but didnt know the guidelines to argue that one... grr. he siad if someone buys them they will have done their own research and will choose accordingly i cant stop someone buyn=ing and its too rude to ask the animal its meant for.. anyway rspca arte happy witth us now go away....grrr

speak to animal control at local council and then RSPCA too, I think you may find there are new rules now on sizing for rabbits and guineapigs.

That's :censored: i bought a small(ish) cage for Amber who's quite small for a temporary 'holiday' home as her mansion is way too large to transport. I was asked what it was for and how many - good on them. I certainly didn't think it was 'rude' of them to ask.

I remembered where i saw the 2/3 ft cage and investigated and it does have a sign on it saying 'not to be used for rabbits':?

I had a fit when I saw some 'hutches' with run on ebay. Obviously home made. This one, in particular had me fuming:

"Hutch with Run area suitable for Small Rabbit or Guinea Pigs, the roof of the hutch opens for easy cleaning and the top of the run opens for easy catching.

Flat packed, easily assembled with a screwdriver.

Sizes :- 86cm long, 61cm wide and the run is 29cm high, these are total external sizes,

the hutch is 38cm long, 36cm high at front, 30cm high at back, with a plywood floor, and door so you can shut your pet in at night."

I reported it to ebay twice and they did nothing. I posted a thread on the witches coven that is the Ebay Family Home and Garden forum and was lambasted by them for my attitude! I thought, many of them, being animal lovers, might agree with me but no - I got tons of abuse!!

Just looked at the seller's auctions. They are selling the same sort of thing but slightly larger - don't know if they've stopped doing these coffins. The 'slightly larger' ones are still coffins though.

Makes me sick.

Last edited:
Back