• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Returning Dill

willowholly

Mama Doe
I was laid in bed this morning thinking how little Barley & Dill interact with each other & thinking Dill may be better off with a bun that really loves him.If one jumps in the cage,the other one jumps out.They hardly ever sleep with each other.Infact they both act,most of the time,like the other one doesn't exist.They just get on with their own independent lives.
I had concocted the email in my head to Jill that perhaps this arrangement wasn't fair on Dill & that perhaps she could find him a better match as he is young & I only want the best for him.
I put it to hubby when he got up & he said,"he's here now,I think we should keep him.I dont want him going to the rescue where he may not be adopted for a while."This made me realise how attached Hubby is getting to Dill.I,on the other hand am still putting up little barriers between me & Dill in case anything goes badly wrong [fighting]& he would have to go back.I am scared of getting too attached in case he has to go.Though yesterday I found myself thinking about him at work alot & couldn't wait to get home to see him.
They do interact sometimes together,but not very often.Is it cruel keeping him in a loveless marriage & would he be better finding true love elsewhere or would it be more cruel taking him out of his home of 3weeks where he seems happy but just not in love?

My Summer and Moses were like that when they first bonded, but after about 6 weeks they are always snuggled up together. Sometimes it just takes awhile, especially if one of the buns is not use to having company :)

how long have they been together/ my poppy and guinness ignored each other quite a lot of the time at first but their bond got stronger over time :)

I agree that 3 weeks is a very short time and it'd be a shame to split them so soon.
Some Buns are loved up within days, others take weeks or months to fully bond. Dont give up yet :)

It might be worth restricting their space just to the cage for a few days, so that they 'have' to interact with each other a bit more - sometimes the smaller the space used for bonding, the quicker and better the bond, so it may be worth a try :)

Some rabbits have stronger bonds than others. I have a few pairs that are always snuggled up together and then I have others that like to do their own thing but at least they still have each other for company. I have just recently bonded one of mine with a rescue bun I had in because his partner died and they were inseperable but the one I have bonded him with now is more a case of you 'won't replace my partner, but it is nice to have the company of you' sort of thing, they both play out and do most things seperately but you can see they are both happy at having each others company:D
Keep with Dill as 3 weeks isn't a long time and I don't think it would be fair on either bunny to split them now if they do get on whether it be snuggly or not
I admire you for thinking this way about the rabbits feelings:D

I agree with Santa. Can you borrow a smaller hutch/run for a couple of days. Perhpas someone's got the big nero cage you can borrow and keep them indoors in it for a day or two.

Sophie & Otis weren't very loved up when they first came home, they then kept having scuffles and he was constantly leaping on her which led to her getting cross with him - he had a missing chunk out of his ear as a result. I put them in a dog crate for 2/3 days, letting them out for an hour at a time and now they are constantly snuggled up to each other and really love each other. I agree that it might be best to limit their space for a while to establish their bond. Don't give up on him yet, it's still early days :)

Awww, I'm sure he's happy with you & the love will follow. Alfie didn't seem too keen on Bubbles at first and I felt quite sorry for her because she was always showering him with attention and he didn't really want to know half the time. They are so loved up now though - it just takes a while sometimes. Even now they have their own independent time spent apart but they are so happy the rest of the time and I guess even buns want to 'be alone' sometimes.

Ahh,thankyou.Im so glad you all said those things.I was beginning to feel guilty in case he could be happier else where.I do cage them for an hour a day whilst hoovering.Think I need to chill more with him & realise hes here for keeps and not on loan.Am relieved really that they have never been aggressive towards each other just wanted to makesure you all thought hes happy here I guess.Would hate to think he could do better elsewhere.

Domino and Pebbles were honestly like lovesick teens when they met, and they still are! they bonded instantly and have been inseperable ever since.

Peanut Butter and Jelly were very different. they just tolerated each other. yeh she groomed him but they never snuggled or did the 'things' other pairs do. they almost lived seperate (but happy) lives.

3 months later they r as bad as the other two :lol:

Its strange,maybe they understand english cos when i got home from work today they were cuddled up on the rug.Nothing spectacular but still they were together.I think thats their way of saying,"we're working on things please dont separate us".This conversation made me realise how fond B and hubby are of Dill & I must say it made me realise how fond I am of him too and its going to take something drastic[like an ear bitten off!!]before our living arrangements change.Its like my Dad said when he came to see Dill-"you've got yourself a lovely little family there."And we have.:D

Back