• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies with old bunnies?

lauramc888

Warren Scout
Got two lop sisters that ive had for over 2 years now. They live in a hutch in a hut so always have a bit of room to run around, and when weather is nice they get a run in the back garden, garden is quite big. I am considering (and i mean only considering as I havent spoken to bf yet!!) about maybe gettin another bunny or 2, but wondered what people would think about salt and pepper meetin new bunnies. Also would have to think of where to put them if they didnt get on!! Early thoughts, but when I get a thought in my head I wanna do it :D

There is no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't be able to bond new buns to your existing ones. There are always exceptions, but very few buns are unbondable.

My boy Rogy lived here happily for 2 years before Barney came to live with us. A few very minor scuffles and a bit of chasing later they are now bonded and very, very close - it's so cute!

I also now have a 3rd bun Lucy, who I am tossing up whether to put with Rog & Barney or get her a husbun (she has special needs).

Lots of posters on here have multiple buns so it can work, keep reading and learning here - these forums are wonderful and there's lots of experienced people who guide you.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply!! thats great yours bonded well!! Salt and pep have been together from babies, they are sisters, so was and am worried that they wouldnt get on together. Last year Salt was in the vets for 2 weeks having treatment on an abscess, and when she came home Pepper was horrid to her!! chasing her around and trying to bite her, but by the end of the day they were back to normal. Just scared of that happening with new buns!! the hut i have them in would easy fit another rabbit or 2, especially with the fact they are let out to run regularly. Im all excited!! Id go for rescue buns this time around, i got s+p from garden centre

i can just see me putting the idea of this to ma bf haha i totally love ma bunnies though, and to think I could help out a couple more sounds good to me!!

how is it you actually go about bonding new bunnies anyway? if i were to get 2 from a rescue but they werent bonded, would I need to bond them first and then together with salt and pepper or put them all together from the beginning?

Well, it depends I guess. If the buns are coming together into a new home that could work in your favour as they'll probably seek comfort from each other due to the stress of moving.

Rescue buns are often easier to manage I think because they're used to being handled and being around other animals.

If you bring a new bun into another's territory, like I did when I brought Barney home then you have to let new bun settle in first, at least a couple of weeks to get used to his/her new home and then put the two of them in a completely neutral area, in a fairly small space and sit back and supervise.

Once you put them together, leave them together. You'll need to make sure that you have at least 2 full days free, you'll need to be with them 24/7.

Back