• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What happens to a rabbit if poisoned

dayle_x

Mama Doe
I set up a run for my buns today, and before putting them in it scooby was perfectly fine. A few hours later he was very limp, rushed him to vets and had no idea what was up with him. He had a very slow heartbeat and was lifeless - i made the decision to put him to sleep.
Having a look on the pictures i took, i found there is a plant called rhododendron and its poisonous to bunnies :cry: The other 5 are fine, so i'm wondering if he maybe had a nibble which caused his death?

I am so completely gutted, i want to strangle myself for not checking, and i want to strangle my uncle for not moving his crappy shed so i had no other room for a bunny run :cry::cry:

What are the symptoms of a poisoned rabbit?

I'm sorry about your bunny :(

In most cases a rabbit would have to eat a good portion of a plant to be seriously effected. A quick taste in passing isn't likely to do harm. Poison may burn the mouth/lips and cause stomach problems, can also go on to effect other organs - depends on the type.

The symptoms you describe could have many causes so it's not possible to give you a definite answer.

So sorry about your bun. I agree with Tamsin though - I would have thought it would take a significant amount to do him that much damage so quickly although I could be wrong. Is it possible that something came in the garden and scared him as his symptoms sound like it could have been shock?

RE

:cry:awwww im really sorry to hear that!:( poor rabbit, i dont really have a clue! maybe your rite! but he must off eaten alot!

Sadly Rhodedendron Toxicity can effect the cardiovascular system, even if ingested in relatively small amounts. It is the actual flower that is the most risk and as little as 3ml nectar/kg body weight can be lethal :cry: It causes bradycardia (slow heart rate), hypotension from vasodilation and atrioventricular block.

Whilst its impossible to say for sure that this is what caused the tragic loss of Scooby it is a possibility and I would definately make sure none of your other Buns can get to the plants.

I am sorry for your loss :cry:

Last edited:
Sadly Rhodedendron Toxicity can effect the cardiovascular system, even if ingested in relatively small amounts. It is the actual flower that is the most risk and as little as 3ml nectar/kg body weight can be lethal :cry: It causes bradycardia (slow heart rate), hypotension from vasodilation and atrioventricular block.

Whilst its impossible to say for sure that this is what caused the tragic loss of Scooby it is a possibility and I would definately make sure none of your other Buns can get to the plants.

I am sorry for your loss :cry:

Was talking to my nan about the plant today. She was saying he can't of eaten much as she cut if right down about a week ago so there was like the stem bit. The vet said he did have a very slow heart rate and despite giving oxygen it just carried on slowing down.

Thank you for all your replies xx

Back