• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mosquito netting and rabbit health u/d picture

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I am wondering if it would be at all detrimental to a rabbits health to put mosquito netting all around their run/hutch... stapled on to it?

Light and air can still get through. I am paranoid.

Last edited:
:wave: hi you can get it cheap at flyscreen queen......staple it to doors and mesh doors.....cheap tulle netting will also do but might rot a bit fast.....dont get the fibre glass mesh for obvious reasons!!

i usually have it at my windows indoors too until my cats trashed it as its held on by velcro type tape:roll::lol:
im using our old shelves to make window struts to fix mesh too and hold in place with an extending net rod...cheap and useful..i have indoor buns who have access to grass when i get rid of the anthills!!

my dad when he was alive used to joke baout getitng them a gazebo with insect mesh panels to play in outside:oops::lol:

Im not sure what it is made of. Polyester?! Definately not fibreglass. I will take a piccy tomorrow and show you what it looks like. Thanks for your help :)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "mosquito netting", but I do know that mosquito nets are impregnated with insecticide. I assume that is done after the nets are made up but wouldn't risk it personally.

:wave: You can get fly screen (without any treatment) from Lidl normally this time of year. I have it on all my runs, but they do go free range too. I think the light still gets through. My net is stapled to the outside so they can't nibble at it.

What I am concerned about is that I am depriving them somehow or seeing their surroundings. I am such a weirdo, I know. They do get to run around the garden quite often.

In the photo I have just covered the run, but I would like to cover the hutch part too. Im uncertain. I just want to protect them from being bitten by flies as these 2 have already had myxi and I want to minimise the risk of that happening again. They are lucky to be here really.

STA74067.jpg

STA74070.jpg

Looks good to me:D - as long as they've got enough ventilation I would have thought they'd be fine - will probably help keep them shaded if it's sunny!
What about when it rains though? Not sure how the net will behave when waterlogged.:?

How will I know if there is enough ventilation? Light still gets through enough to cast shadows of the objects in the run. I have covers/tarp for the runs when it rains.

if it's a breezy day, stick your hand inside to see if you can still feel the breeze?

As long as it's not a really heavy weave (which it doesn't look like) like a bed sheet then I would have thought you'd be fine.

You could always try using citronella oil/candles outside the run/hutch as they're supposed to repel insects of all kinds

waggytails has Mosquito netting on the wire door of her bunny shed, and on her runs too. I think its a fab idea, and must as flies come out in warm weather, I expect the uk has warmer weather now so flies could be a problem?

I think it looks good, and I don't think ventalation will be a problem at all, its a net, not a plastic sheet, so a great idea. I'm getting some to cover my bunnies bedroom windows.

Thank you to everyone who replied. Ive got some of that stuff from Lidl, very good it is too! I was going to double it up as the holes are larger than the other, is this a good or bad idea? I doubled the other stuff up as it was so thin, but this stuff is thicker so might not be necessary. I am going to lie in the run on a windy day and see if I can feel the air.

Im sorry for asking so many questions.... i am completely and utterly paranoid about my bunsters, I really am.

Back