• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chloe uses 2 toilets in her cage !

Martine

Alpha Buck
:wave: hi everybody.. It's not a big deal and not a urinary track problem, just that it makes me clean 2 toilets instead of one :lol:, but I wandered if this happened to you with your female rabbits ?

Chloe 6 years, spayed when she was 7 mths old, has always been very clean but since several months ago, she's been using 2 corners in her cage to wee... In spite of my tricks to try and avoid her doing so in the 2nd corner but to no avail so I gave up ! otherwise she only pees in those 2 places and never outside her cage or in her enclosure... Her toilets are always clean so it's not a question of dirt or anything.. nothing changed in her environment either.

Any thoughts ? have you ever encountered a similar thing ?

Mine have 4 litter trays and go in all of them, they go where ever they feel like really. I think you just have to be happy that she is going in them and no where else :D

Thank you ladies :wave: but what surprised me it that she started doing that a the age of 5 !!! and never before... astonishing rabbits !!! :lol:

1 of my bridge bun, Little Happy, did that when he was 3. He invented new spots.

But I want to know, is the urine color normal? Is it the same palette of color as before?

since a few months her urine darkened to pink/orange/brownish color, (the Red Urine phenomenon) due to plant pigment and porphyrie, as I changed her pellets which contain additional carrotinoids anti-oxydants) because she just had a general check (urine test and blood test liver, kidney etc etc) and other exams..results were normal...no infection, no sand etc.. just a few hematia due to the catheter... and things came back to normal.. so I believe like for your rabbit she just selected a 2nd spot..:lol:

Last edited:
Honey used to have two litter trays in her crate. She liked one for wee and one for poo. She now only has one as she no longer has a crate.

My rabbits have 3 litter pans in the apartment. I think it's unwise to battle a determined rabbit. :lol:

I used two litter boxes for Sasuke, but it was mostly droppings in the smallest one (and several outside too...) Still for an unneutered male rabbit I think he was pretty well litter-trained:D

dora and arthur have 2 in their hutch and 2 in the garden and they always use them .....
coco has 2 in hutch and uses one mostly but occasioanlly the other and has one in the run... well he created it its a flower pot saucer he insists on using!!! he also shares garden loos.

Leo has two litter trays in his hutch that he uses... plus his bed! When he's outside in the run he goes wherever he likes! He's a messy bun! My other two are very very tidy in comparison.

:wave:Thank you so much every body ; it is so funny the way you each describe your bunnies' habits !!!:lol: each rabbit really has his own individuality, so I feel reassured now as I thought something was wrong with her; so this morning I gave more space to each corner with the litter : I cannot put it in a tray as she draws, pulls or returns the tray :lol:, and I put her cushion in the middle of the cage ! so far she hasn't done a mess ... but she pees and poos in both places and has no selection for peeing or pooing but I must say she is clean because only does it in those places and never in her enclosure, nor in her carrier bag : she waits to be home to do it which upsets me because it's not good for the urinary track.. :p

Back