• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hard Lump on Jaw

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hello,

I've just found a hard lump on Maddies bottom jaw bone.... if feel sick. Its solid and doesn't move. I can get an appointment tomorrow at the vets, but what am I looking at here? Is it likely an Abcess, or are they soft usually?

She is behaving absolutely normally, so not worried about that, but need to know what it could be... please help.

Hello,

I've just found a hard lump on Maddies bottom jaw bone.... if feel sick. Its solid and doesn't move. I can get an appointment tomorrow at the vets, but what am I looking at here? Is it likely an Abcess, or are they soft usually?

She is behaving absolutely normally, so not worried about that, but need to know what it could be... please help.

Most likely a dental abscess i'm afraid. They are hard because rabbit pus is so thick.

I would guess that it is her tooth roots pushing her jaw bone out of line if it feels really solid. This can lead to problems with abscesses in the future unfortunately, but if she is eating ok and lively at the moment she will hiopefully be ok for a while yet :) If the vet agrees with it being her roots a dental x ray will help show how advanced the problem is.

Mr rabbit had a hard lump on his bottom jaw. he developed this when he was elderly and started getting teeth problems.
He had x rays and it was diagnosed as an infection in his jaw. He had to have some teeth out too as they were falling out and infected too. After this he just had to have regular dentals. The lump never went away and stayed the same size but it wasn't an abscess, just infection in his bone. It didn't seem to bother him and it didn't seem to hurt him when you touched it.

Sending vibes for Madie let us know how you get on at the vets.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Went to the vets today she said the jaw is infected. Theres a small amount of swelling inside her mouth too, just in front of the molars, and the majority of the lump is on her jaw line.

Its going to be removed tomorrow. They'll drain it and flush it and then pack with antibiotic beads - and from reading posts on here that seems to be the best thing to do?

Please send your wishes to Maddie for tomorrow, I just hope we've caught it early enough to get to the bottom of the infection.

Can you ask them to take a swab to culture the bacteria from the abcess so that you can C&S for the best antibiotics to use. It costs more but given how damn hard abcesses are to treat, let alone get rid of permenantly, it will be giving you your best possible shot at success.

Just something else that it may be.

A friend of mine has just had a suspected abscess removed from her rabbits jaw only to find that it was actually a tapeworm :shock: so just so your warned it may not be what your expecting.

I am sending Maddie loads of vibes and tell her I want her back biting me really soon:D
Will speak later:D

Hi Kay,
Thanks for the well wishes. It was really difficult taking her in this morning - especially splitting up her and Nibs. I'd normally take them in together, but she'll be pretty sore when she wakes up, so I'll take him to meet her at the vets tonight so they have the journey home to get to know each other again.

Mads was good as gold when she had her check over, and the vet is really calming with them, so hope she doesn't miss Nibs too much. Will let you know what they find.

The news is that Maddie is doing just fine now after the op. She was very woozy last night so they spent a night in the indoor cage as she couldn't manage the steps in their cupboard house. She is eating and pooing and being herself really!

It was an abcess, but was quite small, only the size of a marrowfat pea, so hopefully that counts for something in the fight. Its coming from the space between her incisors and molars so she may end up losing some teeth, but at the moment they're solid and not involved in the infection. The jaw is disfigured but they weren't sure if it was infected or not (they didn't do an xray even though i'd asked).

So shes got a bead of Genatmycin in her chin and have to see how things go from here. I'm praying that this doesn't come back.

Oh and Nibs really missed her. I was worried there would be trouble, but they are so loved up, bless.

Hi - I'm so glas your bunny's doing well :) I have to take my little minilop Tommy in for his op tomorrow morning for a suspected abscess - am dreading it, he's my baby :cry: :love:

Lucky's Lump on jaw

My mini lop bunny has the same issue but when they cultured the lump it was more like a tumor It would cost me 600$ to get the tumor removed (it isnt cancerous and isnt growing) he is eight but by mini lop standards that is middle-aged what should i do
?????:?

My mini lop bunny has the same issue but when they cultured the lump it was more like a tumor It would cost me 600$ to get the tumor removed (it isnt cancerous and isnt growing) he is eight but by mini lop standards that is middle-aged what should i do
?????:?

I think you should probably start a new thread as that will get more answers . .

Back