• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any advice on respiratory disease please?

Foofy

Alpha Buck
Hi my rabbit Honey the one in my Avatar has an infection on her lungs (pneumonia) she has fluidy mucus on her lungs.

She has two lots of x rays so far and the fluid is not shifting at the moment. She has had the mucus sent to the lab for tests and it has high dosage of E Coli in it, nothing else showed up. She is on the following medication at the moment, Septrin antibiotics as this apparently works for E Coli, Bisolvon powder twice a day, metacam and I am giving her Avipro as well. I have also been giving her bramble leaves as I heard this was good for respiratory problems.

I have complete faith in my vet she is brilliant with rabbits but I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with their rabbit and what treatment worked for your rabbits? Can anyone recommend anything else we can try to get rid of the fluid?

My vet thinks that maybe something else is going on in her lungs and thinks she could possibly have tumours there as well. She thinks this may be why the E Coli has flared up as a nasty infection. As apparently all bunnies have E Coli present in their gut.

Honey's symptons are a runny nose at the moment. Apart from that she seems quite normal at the moment is eating and drinking well and is loving being out in the garden in the sun. She seems to have improved since being on the Metacam I asked my vet to prescribe this for her as she has had a couple of occasions in the last few weeks where she hasn't wanted to eat in the morning and I thought she was either in pain or some discomfort. She is now eating loads and doesn't seem to be in any pain now.

I would be rally grateful if anyone has any ideas for treatment that I can discuss with my vet. She has another appointment with the vet next Thursday. Would also love to hear from people whose bunnies have recovered from these sort of infections.

Thanks from me and Honey:wave:

Last edited:
if you have complete trust in your vet, just rely on the prescription : E.Coli can be cured but it takes time for the antibio to have an effect... maybe would be faster to have injections ; my bun has various problems, and we go for injections to get faster results.. send vibes for your poor little thing

My Folly used to suffer recurring bouts of pneumonia and we always had great success with Zithromax. This kept her clear of respiratory problems for around 6 months at a time.

Thanks so much for your replies everyone.
I will talk to my vet about the possibility of Honey having injections rather than oral AB's and the possibility of using Zithromax. As I want her to make a full recovery ASAP if possible.

Back