• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rearguard

I havent ever bought this. Is it something that i really should get?
(sorry cant answer your original question :lol: )

Personally I only use it as extra protection for my bunnies with mobility problems or incontinence, I don't put it on the healthier ones :)

I tend to put it on the fluffy bunnies, and Smokey last year. I never use a whole bottle on them, it seems wrong to use a bottle on a small breed rabbit is it also does the larger breeds.

Our vets are now charging £16 for it and thats with 20% off for April only. It's £12 online but with the cost of prescription it would take it over £16

That's why I don't use the whole bottle, as long as they are wet with it, using the rest of the bottle just seems like a marketing ploy.
It can usually do 2-3 rabbits then.:), especially when you are checking them twice a day as well.

Last edited:
Ive just been to the vets they were trying to sell it to me i dont know how much it was though cause mine dont need it

I bought a bottle last year from vet for £20. I just have it as an emergency precaution, an expensive one though !

Thats terrible :shock: I remember buying a bottle when it first came out and it was £10.50, how can they justify such a high price rise in just a few years

I thought if you were unfortunate to find fly eggs on a bun, spraying rearguard on at this stage would help, is this correct or not? This post has got me thinking and I've just googled this and not sure if it can work in that way or not?

If a rabbit with flystrike comes into our vet they treat it with rearguard, so you must be right and it will kill eggs if you find them on the bun.:)

If a rabbit with flystrike comes into our vet they treat it with rearguard, so you must be right and it will kill eggs if you find them on the bun.:)

Thanks :) Thats the only reason I have it here, I'm quite fussy over bum checks and use citronella oil and lavender around them (although I can never remember if they deter flies/mozzies or both, I need to start reading up again!

Oh gosh, I bought a bottle last year, how much was it... *thinks* ... I think it was about £13 - £14? but I could be remembering that from the year before.

It may be prescription only but the vets are always happy to let me take a bottle away with me when I go for vaccinations :) I never used the whole bottle on a single rabbit before, I think I only used a third of the bottle on a medium breed? I tried to use as much as I could but there's little point putting too much on, a bunny can only get so wet before it just starts dripping off afterall :lol:

I only use it in the summer months though, applications only go on in april-ish and august, warm weather depending!

Do you keep sheep.....

If you have a livestock licence you can buy vetrazin. It's exactly the same as rearguard with a dye added so that you can identify which sheep have been treated.

It really annoys me how much they charge for rearguard. :?

I do keep sheep but have not treated them for flystrike, we try to be careful when putting them onto new grazing and last year was the first time we had a problem. Elsie had a bit on her bum, I was horrified, but not surprised because we had to wait too long for the guy to come and clip them. She recovered fine and we will be much more vigilant this year. I have always found it had to get a treatment that will treat a small flock, and not have to dip them, don't like that. Most everything to do with livestock is set up for people with huge herds.
I will ask my vet though about vetrazin, it could be very useful on both counts.:wave:

Back