• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taming a horrified rabbit

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
How would you go about taming a rabbit who sits in the far end of his hutch where I can't reach him without pulling him out and won't even come for a snack?
I don't know how old he is, but he's full grown and most likely not neutered.
My problem is he's so shy! He won't take food from my hands and I can't very well pet him when he's so far into the cage...

Poor bunny. I would go for frequent but very brief handling followed by nice things such as being put in the run or given a treat. Hopefully he'd soon learn that you are only approaching to do nice things for him. I wouldn't expect him to enjoy being handled but hopefully he can at least learn not to be afraid of you.

I know it's boring but I think the best way is to just leave him alone in his hutch and sit outside very still. Eventually he should come to investigate. If he's in a new home I'd just leave him alone completely (except feeding of course) for at least a week.

My Lucy was very skittish and its a very slow process getting them to be friendly. Most of the friendship making was "food based" so I recommend getting some tasty snacks and gently and quietly get bun to eat them from you but take it very slowly and quietly and be patient, I wasnt and had to learn it would not happen over night x x

I know it sounds daft as!
But I sat outside Oggies cage and read a book either aloud to him or just silently to myself sort of thing.
When I read it aloud he got used to my voice.

If he is quite a nervy bunny, I would take it slowly anyway as in slow movements.

Do you let him run about a room ?
If yes then stay in there with him.
Try and not get him out, only checking his bumbum and the like. But again no sudden movement :D

I know it's boring but I think the best way is to just leave him alone in his hutch and sit outside very still. Eventually he should come to investigate. If he's in a new home I'd just leave him alone completely (except feeding of course) for at least a week.

I actually did that today. I sat in his run like that once too. I'm a bit worried about taking him in and out of the run to the hutch since it would involve me chasing him down and catching him every time... which I doubt will make him much more secure on me.
I may try that some more then. Or just leave the cage door open and sit on the floor in the shed (He's on the bottom floor).

Can meeting a tamer rabbit help? I was gonna try to introduce him to Zakura once he gets neutered.. And she's pretty okay with coming up to me sometimes.

YES! :)

Rabbits often take social cues from other rabbits. When he sees another rabbit hopping around in the run is perfectly safe he will probably stick his head out slowly too :)

Patience is a virtue as they say. No short way about it you have to win his trust! Sit talking to him if possible leave door open so he can come out by himself without you there too as then he will see its ok to venture out.
Find stuff to do and sing talk to yourself near him he may wonder what your doing and investigate. Also by doing this your not staring at him so he doesnt feel like your a threat.
If you can when talking to him come right down (like you would with dog) lower than him if poss so that he doesnt see you as towering him and that hes bigger. Easier for him to run if he had to, your not representing a predator that way.
Lots of treats is needed or whatever he likes (raisons are our fav) everytime you pop to see him just pop your hand in eg for bowl at din time say hi and give treat, leave on floor if you cant reach him tell him thats for him for being good boy.
Once he does get nearer DONt make the mistake of picking him up straight away as he will tend to take 10 steps back. Take time and let him keep coming till eventually he may put paws on you and work his way to sitting on you or next to you comfortably then start making the steps to picking him up. Gradually holding him for few secs on floor/knees to few secs in air then eventually carrying him. Always praise him for being good.

bunny!

you should start off by talking to him softly for about 5mins, then very calmly and slowly,feed your hand into the cage, still talking softly, and start stroking him and he'll gradually get used 2 it, if he runs away just stop what your doing, but dont get mad with him EVER!! xxxx:D hope he gets better at being handled. xxxxxxx

Go very slowly. I managed to get my Roger to trust me. He was a domestic released into the wild and would just run in pure terror anytime a human came within any sort of distance of him.

I actually started by singing softly whenever I was in his earshot, so that he was able to be prepared for me coming, and also associated the song with me, and also that no harm came to him. I would sing near him, and also far away from him.

I always took him food and left it in his cage. I moved it near him with time. I used to just sit near him and talk to him too, just softly, and calmly, about anything.

I kept him in accommodation which was NOT suitable for your everyday rabbit. He was temporarily in a 4ft by 1ft hutch, and that was because with anything bigger he just freaked out and was a danger to himself.

It didn't take me long. I worked really intensively with him, and within 5 days he was handfeeding, and within ten days he wouldn't freak out so was able to have a larger space (much larger, 5ft by 5ft, but we left the 4ft by 1ft hutch in the area, so that he still had his safe space).

I didn't put any pressure on him to be held, or touched to start with, but within two weeks I could stroke him when he was eating from my hands, and he would also come over and walk on my legs to steal food from me.

Essentially go at the buns pace. Don't expect too much too soon. Don't take anything personally.

It's really just about winning their trust. You can gain their trust, just be patient :)

Go very slowly. I managed to get my Roger to trust me. He was a domestic released into the wild and would just run in pure terror anytime a human came within any sort of distance of him.

What on earth are people thinking when they release buns like this? Seriously - how could anyone be stupid enough to think "it's the right thing to do".

Unbelievable. Lucky for Roger he found you!

What on earth are people thinking when they release buns like this? Seriously - how could anyone be stupid enough to think "it's the right thing to do".

Unbelievable. Lucky for Roger he found you!

Cloud is sort of this too. Except he was still fed at least, he ran loose all over the neighborhood. Even before this he lived in a dog-run so he was never really tamed by his previous owners (and he's had at least three before I got him:cry:)

Sounds like eclipse.. It took me months to get him to trust me, even then he didnt like being handled. So I box trained him so he didnthave to be handled directly for transporting.

Back