• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friendly, easily trained breed?

kat_g

Warren Scout
Can anyone suggest a breed of rabbit that would be easily trained and friendly natured? I realise that the friendliness of the bunny would largely depend on how it was brought up, but some breeds are more so than others. Thank you

In my own experience, you will always find exceptions to any rule! One person will say a Dutch is friendly, another persons experience will be totally different!

New Zealand Whites are reputed to have a calm and friendly temperament. They are also a breed of rabbit that tends to get overlooked in the rescue centres.......:wave:

My contis are chilled and dont like to do too much, but they dont like to be handled, which is fair enough as i couldnt pick them up!!! :lol:

Lola is a Lionhead and in my very little experience she was incredibly tame and easy to litter train, more or less did it herself and is quite a little character. Lucy is a lop and very quiet and a little bit skittish but I do feel each individual bun has its own little character.

I think that every rabbits have a different personality :D
Netherlands can be none to be a bit grumpy but then my friend has one who is such a soppy thing!
My old rabbit - Mopsy - was a cross and quite big. She was absolutely gorgeous :love: such a soppy lovely.

Oggie is a corss between and english and a dwarf lop ( he dont look like a lop at all though :lol: ) and he is lovely but a typical baby still and can be cheeky and very excitable. :lol:

:love:

What about a rex? If they're not easily trained at least they love food:lol: Which could be an advantage if you want to teach it tricks using treats:D

I think that every rabbits have a different personality :D
Netherlands can be none to be a bit grumpy but then my friend has one who is such a soppy thing!

I have a half netherland, half lionhead and he is half grumpy, half snuggly! :lol:

My holland is a sweetheart, but she's dumb as a post.

I really can't stereotype any breed. But my small dwarfs are psychotically active and fiesty!

from what ive read (so im probably wrong) what you need to look for is a bunny that has been handled by humans from before 5 weeks old... i have a feeling that my lop who is super chilled and friendly (when hes in a good mood) was not handled at all before he came to me at 8 weeks and he really really really dont like humans picking him up, i ofcourse am pretty scared of the little bugga so have not really tried to get him used to being picked up as it takes ages for him to love me again whenever i do so we are both happier this way :D

Charlie is one of the most laid back bunnies ever...I got him at 7 weeks old and he hadn't been handled then, but he's soft as...
He is litter trained, he knows his name, and I've trained him to go to bed when I say "bed" so I don't need to try and catch him...
He HATES being handled, but thats probably because he's got a big bigger now and it'll be uncomfy for him to be lifted.

Also, he's a gready bum so I trained him with treats :D

from what ive read (so im probably wrong) what you need to look for is a bunny that has been handled by humans from before 5 weeks old... i have a feeling that my lop who is super chilled and friendly (when hes in a good mood) was not handled at all before he came to me at 8 weeks and he really really really dont like humans picking him up, i ofcourse am pretty scared of the little bugga so have not really tried to get him used to being picked up as it takes ages for him to love me again whenever i do so we are both happier this way :D

I agree. Got my youngest dwarf lop at 5 months and he's always hated being picked up don't think he was handled at all before and got my eldest dwarf lop at 6 and a half and she's a little sweetie to pick up. My dwarf lion head is skitty to catch but once you have her she's fine. You can really never tell.

Can anyone suggest a breed of rabbit that would be easily trained and friendly natured? I realise that the friendliness of the bunny would largely depend on how it was brought up, but some breeds are more so than others. Thank you

I dont think theres such a thing :? Every rabbit is different in its own way. I have 2 dwarf lops - 1 is extrememly friendly, the other is lethal :lol: Every rabbit has its own personality.

If you are currently looking for a rabbit, i would visit a rescue. You can see how the rabbit behaves there, and the rescue will know if its litter trained etc. All my foster bunnies are currently litter trained, but theyve all been here over 6 months so ive had time to 'teach' them.

xXx

I have 4 buns, two different breeds & 4 very different personalities. I will say that in general the larger breeds tend to be more laid back & the nethies of this world a little more bonkers but this is a big generalisation and a lot is dependent on good handling. If you are looking for a friendly rabbit there are many in rescues that are very friendly & litter trained to, you just have to hunt a little more and make sure you read their descriptions well. if in doubt phone up the rescue and find out some more info. We for example have bessie http://www.fatfluffs.com/rabbit/83/ who loves humans....but doesn't like rabbit much so would make a good house bunny & is the only bun we would consider rehoming solo because of her rabbit phobia :lol:

netherland dwarf

netherland dwarfs are the type of rabbit your looking for! they are very patient, obedient and loyal thats why they make such good pets 4 children!! i have one (crystal :D) who comes to your voice!! and for the training bit, i dont even need to train her!:D hope this helps what your looking for! by the way, does anyone know any first rabbit clubs, near/in hexham area??
thanks,
jess:wave:

Many people have said to me netherland dwarfs are friendly and 'perfect for children' but 4 of my friends (and my husband!) kept nethies as children and in all but one of the cases they were grumpy little buggars :lol: My own experience has been 'english rabbits are lovely' but I know people who would disagree with that statement also who have ahd experiences of their own :D

All depends on the temperment/personality of your rabbit and how they were brought up :wave:

Back