• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

taking rabbits to vets in pairs or singles

do you take one or both your busn the evets at teh same time?

• always together at the vets even when ones healthy

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • just the ill rabbit goes to the vets

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
after reading missy sjs jelly thread (im glad she better now hun :)) i just wondetred how many of us took their rabbits in pairs when ones having an op just so their kept company and who only takles the ill rabbit to teh vets and leaves the healthy friend behind?

i know we will get differenent answers here so no argueing we all see and look at things differently and we shouldnt force our beliefs on others.

please state your reason aswell.

ive never taken Misty to the vets with Crystal when Crystals gone in for her dentals because i dont feel why i should stress Misty out taking him to the vets when hes not really needed also when Crystal has come round from her GA i would think she would be tired and groggy from it all and probably wont want Misty jumping all over her :? they have never forgotten one another in the 6 hours their away from one another (or 15 minutes when Crystal goes for a check up) and act normally with one another when placed back together. they do go for their vaccinations together though.

I always take buns to vets in pairs, only Alyssa gets stressed out by them, and tbh she was fine after tuesday.

Personally, i would only see an issue if there is a bunny who is dangerously stressed ie panting, shaking that sort of thing, and id never take them for a routine.

My bunnies go for vaccs in pairs as they are done same time x

I take all of mine with their friends except for Roger. He lives in a trio and the other two go and he stays at home (unless he is the ill one) because he is far too petrified of hands/new places/people, etc, for it to warrant stressing him out, plus he accepts his two girlfriends right back, straight away, no matter what has happened.

Roger was found wild and seems to never have had human contact until I was able to earn his trust, but I don't ever want to push that trust and lose it again.

All my others have been completely domestic since birth and are confident around people and far better off with each other, so they do always go together.

My vets say that mine, when they go with their friends, are often far more calmer and do better after surgery (if that's why they are there) than the single buns. That's enough of a reason to do it for me.

Whenever any of the buns I had were at the vets it was due to stasis, so they needed to be monitored for eating and pooing. This is made very difficult when they are together. Plus, they were always vulnerable to stasis anyway, so I was never prepared to put the other through undue stress. Hence, I never took a healthy bun to the vet unnecessarily.

As I said on the other thread, I don't think it should be a fixed 'rule' as such, but a weighing up of the individual buns and the situation.

I did used to take them in their pairs as I had heard it could affect their bond if they were separated but on occasions when I could only take one in, things have always been fine when they've come home, so now I only take in the ill rabbit.

i always thought it should be pairs but pearl stresses so bad when she goes to the vets and they adore each other so much i cant see thier bond breaking due to a vets visit... because of this i will now only take the poorly one

I don't always take both. When Rubix had a dental I took Sophie because he was such a stessy boy & Sophie being there helped. When Eeyore's been at the vets for stasis before I've only taken him & he's been fine when he went back to Piglet. I think it's how the individual rabbit deals with the vets that matters.

i never realised you could take your other bun to the vets as company... :roll:
But we took our boys one at a time...
With my new buns do you think i should take them in twos now?
i guess it does shorten down the stress....

For routine things I always take the boys together.

In an emergency I don't know what I would do really. I think it depends on the situation and the buns involved.

Generally I think I would always try to keep them together but do agree that sometimes it's just not possible.

Depends on the situation - as my group is so large they don't really notice the one's missing if it's a short period of time. Squirell was out for 36hours just recently and they gave him a few nips when I put him back in and that was it - pairs I probably would take both even if the one was healthy.

i only take the bunny that is ill or needing checked out, but for routine appts they always go together, routine check up, jags etc. None of the 2 seem to bother about being on their own

Never take them together. What if there is some bacteria from some other rabbits in the clinic that somehow pass on to my bun? Now instead 1 bun got it, both of them got it

If I take 2, instead 1 bun being stressed, now 2 buns are stressed.

In the end, it's not a picnic. So there is no point, as they don't like it 1 way or the other

Last edited:
If it's just for a check up/jabs etc when I know the ill bun is going to be returning back home again, then they both go.

If it's for an op where they will be left at the vets, then it's just the ill one that goes - but that's mainly because my vet doesn't allow the healthy one to stay for safety reasons.

Back