• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Do You Know If A Rabbit Is Blind?

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Sorry to post again on the same topic, but these are related, yet different, questions, and I can't find much information online.

1) How bad is a rabbit's sight when they scan regularly?
2) How can you tell if a rabbit is blind?
3) What are the possible causes of blindness, and are any of them a cause for concern?

It seems blind/visually impaired bunnies don't need a lot of extra care, but I just want to make sure that there's nothing more sinister I need to worry about concerning vision loss.

It is important to note that I unfortunately got this bunny from a breeder, and I wonder if I should notify her that she's possibly produced a visually impaired rabbit.

Thanks for enduring all my questions. :oops:

There's some information here :wave:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/possible-blind-rabbit.htm

I would add infections such as e.c. to the list of possible causes. Another cause of scanning can be a large ruff in the case of lionheads.
Edit: forgot to mention some rabbits are genetically prone to poor eyesight

Thank you for the link!

This rabbit is a holland lop. I know her shorter face makes her more susceptible to runny eyes and runny noses, but I'm not sure if poor eyesight is among the risks in lops.

Does she have red eyes? If so then scanning is associated because red eyed animals often have poor vision/depth perception. Scanning help them form a better picture. If she scans it also implies she has some vision otherwise there would be do reason to adjust the field of view to assess things better :)

Does she have red eyes? If so then scanning is associated because red eyed animals often have poor vision/depth perception. Scanning help them form a better picture. If she scans it also implies she has some vision otherwise there would be do reason to adjust the field of view to assess things better :)

That makes a lot of sense. She does have bluish eyes that reflect a lot of red. Maybe I should watch for a decrease in scanning to watch for a worsening of her eyesight. Is it possible that it would worsen with age in red eyed bunnies?

Back