• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis warning, Leicester

lilbun

Warren Veteran
One of our vets was horse riding near Beacon Hill in Leicester the other day and saw numerous bunnies affected with myxomatosis.
Please, whatever county you are in, make sure your rabbit's vaccines are up to date

Last edited:
it has become endemic in France, and some wild rabbits are becoming resistant to the disease or get only slightly ill and become carrier of the disease to other rabbits... all over the past years they died from VHD although there are still plenty to die from myxo:cry:

Thanks for this - I have some good friends in Leicester so I can warn them to be extra careful with their fluffs!

it has become endemic in France, and some wild rabbits are becoming resistant to the disease or get only slightly ill and become carrier of the disease to other rabbits... all over the past years they died from VHD although there are still plenty to die from myxo:cry:

Is a vaccine available in France? :wave:

:D sure, for both myxo+vhd for pets rabbits but they cannot vaccinate the wild ones... but sometimes the shot leaves a kyste at the point of inoculation

Last edited:
:D sure, for both myxo+vhd for pets rabbits but they cannot vaccinate the wild ones... but sometimes the shot leaves a kyste at the point of inoculation

At least we are lucky- no vaccine is available to our friends in Australia

really ? dont they have domestic rabbits overthere ? because myxo came from there to eradicate all wild rabbits.. I think the vaccine is available in Europe, US and Canada, I hope ... because some people breed rabbits for eating, as well :(

really ? dont they have domestic rabbits overthere ? because myxo came from there to eradicate all wild rabbits.. I think the vaccine is available in Europe, US and Canada, I hope ... because some people breed rabbits for eating, as well :(

They do have domestic rabbits. They done allow the vaccine because they don't want the wild rabbits becoming immune, unfortunately, because of the damage to crops :(

They do have domestic rabbits. They done allow the vaccine because they don't want the wild rabbits becoming immune, unfortunately, because of the damage to crops :(

Ya, and in spite of all the damages they did to the world's wild rabbits, they still continue to let the disease spread... it is terrible when you think the whole trouble started in the 60's ..:(

I had to dodge a wild rabbit yesterday - I live near Chester, it was on the road by Costco in Ellesmere Port. I literally came to a standstill and drove around it, one of it's eyes was shut - poor thing! It wasn't normal, it was so slow moving... Not sure if it was myxi, but there seems to be a lot of discussions about it.

I had to dodge a wild rabbit yesterday - I live near Chester, it was on the road by Costco in Ellesmere Port. I literally came to a standstill and drove around it, one of it's eyes was shut - poor thing! It wasn't normal, it was so slow moving... Not sure if it was myxi, but there seems to be a lot of discussions about it.

Yep, that sounds like classic myxi: poor thing :cry:

At least we are lucky- no vaccine is available to our friends in Australia

Nope no myxo vacc over here - but there is for VHD, go figure. Doesn't make sense.

A lot of the wild bun population here has become immune too (yesssss!!) but there is still the odd outbreak.

I wish more Aussies would see what wonderful companions buns can be, there's still a long way to go though :(

How peculiar they vaccinate for VHD and not myxo... be cause VHD can do immediate damages to rabbits populations... poor rabbits... :oops:

Back