• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Anaesthetic...

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Am looking for a new vet and think i've found quite a good one, but when I asked about what anaesthetic they use, they said they sedate them first, then use gaseous anaesthesia - is this ok to do or not? I know that Isofluorane and sevofluane are the two better known ones and am a bit confuzzled as to what to make of it.

Please could you advise me? I would have asked, but think they were already getting narked with all the questions i was asking!! lol :roll::lol:

Thanks!

No idea, but I know with humans that they sedate you first before the real anaesthetic, so it doesn't seem that horrible to me. I can't even remember them injecting the actual anaesthetic after receiving the stuff for sedation :lol:

Don't you use Frances Harcourt Brown...seeing as how you live in Harrogate!

My thoughts exactly :lol::lol::lol:

I nearly lost Esme under GA (NOT the vet's fault) then entrusted her Frances to have another go, there is nobody I'd trust more with my bunnies

Generally a combination of injectable anaesthesia is used then they are gased down with isofluorane, but that wasn't the method used for Esme second time round.

On a thread on here recently RodneyVet said he takes a lot into consideration, age, weight, known health risks etc as to what sort of anaethetic/or combination is used.

Edit to add: Sorry, I posted before reading your post above, as I started before you posted :(

Second edit: This thread might help you with understanding the methods generally used:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=139138

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Am looking for a new vet and think i've found quite a good one, but when I asked about what anaesthetic they use, they said they sedate them first, then use gaseous anaesthesia - is this ok to do or not? I know that Isofluorane and sevofluane are the two better known ones and am a bit confuzzled as to what to make of it.

Please could you advise me? I would have asked, but think they were already getting narked with all the questions i was asking!! lol :roll::lol:

Thanks!

Yes, this is perfectly fine - gassing down without sedation is stressful - particularly with isoflurane which has an unpleasant smell :)

Back