• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

s**t book,needs to be binned!!!

willowholly

Mama Doe
Came across this book yesterday in my rabbit book collection,cant remember buying it and obviously not read it,well......Ive never read so much rubbish in all my life.If you know abit about buns its not a problem cos you know its rubbish & can bin it[recycle obviously!]but if you are novice,you may take it as gospel,then its scarey!
It started badly by saying buns were nocturnal,then said pet shops will normally only buy friendly animals.No mention of rescues at all.It says dwarf rabbits can quite easily be kept on their own and on the subject of castration it says,"This is of course expensive,and not every vet is willing to do such a 'fiddly job'".It recommends buying does as bucks spray & dont even mention the fact does should be spayed for health reasons.
The chapter on litter and bedding was so contradictory that I wouldn't have a clue what to use.
The one good thing this book says is that buns can be housed inside or in sheds,it doesn't seem to favour hutches at bottom of gardens,thank goodness.
Even so,was really un impressed & hubby wondered why I kept swearing at a book!:lol:
When a book mentions the RWA and the Rabbit rehome link in the back pages,you think its going to be good,so was greatly disappointed.
The book is one of the "about pets"range.The Dwarf rabbit.

Last edited:
A collegue brought in a veterinary book for me to read. Some gems were that `anaesthetic is not normally necessary to castrate a normal, calm rabbit', does should be kept alone and that rabbits could be fed on bread and fruit :shock::shock::shock:

I hate those sort of books so much! There was a book at my school library about rabbit care, and it said a 2ft hutch was ok for a rabbit :evil:. not a single mention of a run for them to stretch!
well, i stole the book... I didn't want it getting in the wrong hands :oops:

My mum gave me a rabbit book a few weeks ago that had been on a friend's bookshelf for years. My youngest dd likes to look at the pictures but I read some of it the other day - it said that guinea pigs are fine in a 2ft hutch but rabbits need something much bigger - at least 3 ft. :shock: And the rest. :roll: Oh, and don't forget the old chestnut about keeping rabbits and piggies together.

The book I have was published in 1986 though, so I'm not sure how current books compare.

Back