• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help and advice needed please!!!

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Well I marked it in my diary that we found Cleo on 10th March... I wake up this morning and she has made a nest out of Kitt's fur (I think as I can't see anything missing off of her and she is a pretty slender mini rex...). Does this mean she is about to give birth!?!

I've taken Kitt out but I have a few concerns....

1) The vet didn't think she was pregnant and therefore, 2 weeks ago, she had her first vaccination (myxo) and is due the next one now... do I wait a few days to see if she has them?!?? And have I killed the babies before they've been born by having the first one done :cry:

2) Kitt is neutered so I'm guessing this happened before she came to me - so she could potentially be having cross rexes with a wildie :?

Ive noticed that the past week if Kitt has gone to hump her (out of dominance) she has grunted alot... and if anyone goes to stroke her back...

Advice please xx

Thank you Jane, I was waiting for you to reply to this thread as you always have the best answers :).

Do you think I should have an emergency spay sorted for her? I'm assuming she is due round about now... I really don't know... I'm quite scared to be honest :oops::oops: xx

hopefully it's a phantom... if not and she's nest building then it's likely too late for an emg. spey. I'd either pop her to the vet if it's not too stressful for her, or just wait and see - feed her as you would a pregnant doe, just in case :)

hopefully it's a phantom... if not and she's nest building then it's likely too late for an emg. spey. I'd either pop her to the vet if it's not too stressful for her, or just wait and see - feed her as you would a pregnant doe, just in case :)

Is that giving her more pellets etc? Thanks Faye xx

Is that giving her more pellets etc? Thanks Faye xx

yup - more pellets, more fresh veg, perhaps small amounts of parsley for the calcium... don't change her diet too much, cos you don't want to upset her tummy, just make she she has a bit extra :)
I've only cared for 1 pregnant doe, so hopefully someone with more experience can offer more advice :D

Personally I would not increase her pellets/veg just yet as you may upset her guts. In my expereience Rexes have a more delicate GI tract.
If Kitt has been humping her it may just be a pseudopregnancy as Buns are induced ovulators.
If she is pregnant she will go off her food for about 24 hours before kindling (to leave room for her to eat the afterbirth)

Good luck :)

Hi, I have a doe that has had two litters. Both times she didn't do the nest until hours before the babies were born. Since then, she has made another couple of nests but these have been 'false' pregnancies. It might be she is just hormonal ... just keep an eye :)

Thanks Faye =]

I am hoping it is a phantom... but feeling her stomach it feels quite hard and she grunts if you touch it :?

She's been lunging and growling loads lately, and even took a chunk out of Claire :? I just put that down to hormones... xx

Hi lou

her behavior will also change with a phantom..and we have had 3 does here all go through phantom pregs in the last 2 weeks..all built lovely nests and all grunting and moody..none were pregnant though.

Will keep fingers crossed for her x

Just one little thing, I wouldn't feed any parsley to a breast feeding mummy bunny (or possibly a pregnant doe even if hopefully it is only a phantom, just in case) as it is a known herb to dry up milk supplies (same thing as sage). It works for women as well as cats, rabbits etc.

Last edited:
So far, nothing.... I am hoping it's a phantom.

Still a week to go before I know she's out of the deep... as Kitt would definitely not be the daddy, lol. xx

Back