• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting rabbits next to each other

tracy08

Warren Scout
We are moving in a couple of weeks to a bigger house if all works out and the garden is perfect for my babies. Now just to remind you what i have.

1 mum with 3, 7 week old babies
1 mum with 2, 3 week old babies
and neutered Thumper on his own for now

Now i know where i want to put them and was going to add their own run for each set, but would it be wise to have them right next to each other, they are at the moment in the hutches but not in the runs as at the moment they have to share a run which i have to swap them around every few hours so they all get a break (big pain in the bum )

Has any one done this with there being little ones .Of course they wont beable to get to each other apart from sniffing noses. But want to make sure

I wouldn't have them RIGHT next to each other. They can bite each others noses through mesh and this can be nasty :(

Personally I would block off the view so they can't see each other. It probably won't matter so much whilst they are babies but once they start to assert dominance it will cause problems for you. I have two sets of rabbits and when either can see the other pair of rabbits it sometimes causes fights within their groups. It's a huge pain but I think it's better if they don't see each other.

I agree with timb0h.
I've tried keeping my rabbits in runs next to each other but it took some getting used to on their side so they would stop biting through the fence. (Sasuke still ripped fur of Zakura's forehead, even if they "got along" pretty good other times)

I kind of agree with the others *but* it does sometimes work out. My set up is as follows ...
1 pair of bun's (mum & dad) who have a hutch and free range garden all the time
1 pair of bun's (the mum & dad's babies) who have a hutch/run set up.

Now when it is as above the rabbits can all see each other and every bun is fine and happy. HOWEVER when I put the mum & dad in the hutch and let the baby bun's have free range time the mum & dad go a bit metal (well the mum does, the dad doesn't seem that bothered). The mum will actually try and bite the babies through the hutch wires if they get close enough! (although the baby buns are learning not too!).

I am assuming that you know that you might need to seperate the babies soon? Not all mums/babies live okay (my mum turned on her babies) and of course any boys may need to be removed soon.

You can get pairs to live as harmonious neighbours but it has to be done gradually. I have a houseful of Rabbit pens and each pair of Buns can see and smell at least one other pair :)

mmmm will have to look at where i can put them then dont want buns noses hurt.

Then theres the seperating them too, I am hoping that mum will stay with babies if girls as they cuddle u so much (the 7 wk ones) Mum, runs and plays with them its so cute, but like you say she may get annoyed etc. They can al see each other now, but if hey do go on one wall then i suppose i need to make sure there is a big gap between runs.

Back