• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking a rabbits temprature?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
How would you do this, without putting it up there *ahem* :oops: Could you use a normal themometor? if so how would you use it!?
Thankyou :D

Ive read on google (and cant find otherwise) that it should be done rectally. Are there special themometers designed,specfically for rectal use?

Just so you know, you should never try to take a rectal temperature reading without being shown how by your vet. :)

Ive read on google (and cant find otherwise) that it should be done rectally. Are there special themometers designed,specfically for rectal use?

yes,they typically have a blue end as opposed to a silver one,they are stronger than a normal one,less likely to break:shock: Ask vet to show you how first though

I wouldn't suggest any 'normal' owner attempt to take a rabbit's temperature :? You could do it huge internal damage. If there's any reason you're worried about your bun, it needs to be at the vet - and they can take its temperature then anyway.

As an ongoing measure to monitor their general health, you're far better off weighing your bun regularly (weekly), keeping an eye on their behaviour and looking out for any odd signs such as runny eyes, sneezing, sitting with an odd posture or not eating as much/being picky with food.

I wouldn't suggest any 'normal' owner attempt to take a rabbit's temperature :? You could do it huge internal damage. If there's any reason you're worried about your bun, it needs to be at the vet - and they can take its temperature then anyway.

As an ongoing measure to monitor their general health, you're far better off weighing your bun regularly (weekly), keeping an eye on their behaviour and looking out for any odd signs such as runny eyes, sneezing, sitting with an odd posture or not eating as much/being picky with food.

Oi, you saying I aint normal................;)

its just incase I ever need to do it really - i wouldnt attempt to do it rectally until my vet has shown me anyway ( might be young but not daft) hence me asking if there any other way you could check a rabbits temprature without doing it rectally

I always take any animals temp from the bottom,I do agree that if you are not confident in what you are doing then get a professional to do it as you dont want a mishap

Not accurately enough for it to be any use - hence my suggestion that there are other better things to look out for, I can't think of a circumstance where any normal (there's that word again Jane ;) ) owner would find it necessary to take a temperature at home, if the situation ever arose that it's needed, then in my opinion the bun needs to be at a vet :)

There is no way id do it rectally i think id be sick :lol::lol::lol: stuff that for a game of soilers, the vet can do it :lol:
No the reason i ask is, we bought a digital themometer (not for the intention of bun use btw) today and i'm making a bunny first aid kit up - so was just wondering incase I had to do it, but if rectally is the only way NO CHANCE
and yes Santa, im well aware a bun would need a vet if the situation came to temprature taking :)

you should of seen my poor alvins face when he had his temp took that once :(:( id never be able to invade an animals butt like that :shock: Ralph never looks too happy neither :(

if i werent so scared of stasis im sure id have took great delight in his disgust :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thats made me laugh so much :lol: Phoebes had it done once and he was none to pleased at all and ended up trying to bite the vet :shock::lol:

When Daisy was ill with a high temp, our vet saw her every two days for a week to monitor her temp. He did show my o/h how to do it and said it was something we could do ourselves, so I found an online guide somewhere on how to do it - but after reading about the possibility of injury we decided we definitely wouldn't risk it.

Back