• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

weird medication after dental what is it?

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
got Crystal back from her dental and was handed some Zantac syrup what is it andwhat is it for? i wasalso given a recovery sachet which isnt needed because Crystals eating and pooing fine :?

so its meant to be given after a GA? from all the dentals Crystals had ive never been given anything for her before :shock: when they handed it to me i started the million and one questions 'what is this?' 'whats wrong with her?' 'why has she been given medication has something happened' the vet had already gone and the receptionist couldnt answer anything apart from shes fine nothings wrong etc. and even told me the zantac was an antibiotic :roll:

Sounds a bit dodgey to me :shock:
Id be ringing up and asking to speak to someone! I understand vets are VERY busy people, but personally I like to know what my vet is giving me, why theyve got to have it, what itll do it and I always get a receipte at the end with a price break down of medications and what the tax is on top!
Lucky im at a vets where there used to me being a nosey little thing :lol::lol:
I assume the gut stimulant, was giving as a JUST incase?

It's fine - it's just a different drug that more and more vets are starting to use instead of (or as well as) metaclopromide, it promotes stomach emptying so just helps to get things going again as guts may slow down after surgery :)

isn't zantac otherwise known as ranitidine? If so its an anti-acid drug.. we use it at work sometimes when children have reflux :?

Drugs that cause the gut to move is domperidone / cisapride

Ranitidine (Zantac) is an anti GI ulcer med. But a side effect is that it speeds up gastric emptying. Apparently it has a very simalr pharmocological action to cisapride (prepulsid) in that respect. It is an extremely useful med to use in cases of GI stasis or after a GA :D

Back