• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plant pot protection ideas?!

Hello!

I have two free-range bunnies & I have tried everything to stop the little naughties from eating my plants & flowers! Last year we replaced all the pots with big tall ones - they can't reach the tallest ones, but the slightly shorter ones - they will just jump up onto them and then jump from pot to pot and munch their way through my plants!

Anyone got any bright idea how to stop them from jumping up onto them???

(here's some pics, so you can see what I mean!)

SANY0818.gif

SANY0819.gif

I am in the same boat as you! I used to have lots of herbs and flowers and the bun's have muched their way through them all!

I have no idea how to stop them (I have kind of giving up trying!). I did 'fence' them off for a bit but it didn't take them long to work out how to go under/over etc!

I gave up too! I felt really smug when I first started container gardening - using slate on the borders and brightly coloured pots...but it didn't take the buns long to work out 'vertical take off and landing' to get into the pots :?

What have you got growing in them? For something short and bushy like some herbs I would put a hanging basket upside down over (or a topiary ball if you can find them). That way the bunnies can trim them but not reach to cut them right back/bite the stalks and if you want a bit you can reach through.

For the mini tree style ones I would go for a wire cylinder. If you get some green coated garden wire so it looks nice and then cut 5/6 straight pieces and 'plant' those around the edge of the pot. Then coil the wire in a spiral up around the outside. Where the spiral crossed the uprights use a cable tie or smaller (poss thinner) bit of wire to wrap around and make a joint. If you go up to where they start branching out (about a foot?) you should be just out of reach.

You can do the second on other style plants if you want too, it's just a bit more work than upending a basket over them :)

Tam

What have you got growing in them? For something short and bushy like some herbs I would put a hanging basket upside down over (or a topiary ball if you can find them). That way the bunnies can trim them but not reach to cut them right back/bite the stalks and if you want a bit you can reach through.

For the mini tree style ones I would go for a wire cylinder. If you get some green coated garden wire so it looks nice and then cut 5/6 straight pieces and 'plant' those around the edge of the pot. Then coil the wire in a spiral up around the outside. Where the spiral crossed the uprights use a cable tie or smaller (poss thinner) bit of wire to wrap around and make a joint. If you go up to where they start branching out (about a foot?) you should be just out of reach.

You can do the second on other style plants if you want too, it's just a bit more work than upending a basket over them :)

Tam

Cool - those are excellent ideas!!! Why haven't I thought of that.

I will give your ideas a go at the w/e!!! Thanks for that.

Back