• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to chew out of a playhouse, advice needed please.

Charys

Mama Doe
My bun has always had full run of the playhouse, the door is open if weather overnight is good and the doorway has a fully metal fenced opening panel. All very secure. Yesterday I added a large fenced run area around the front of the playhouse, which he enjoyed greatly (we have other covered 7 ft runs which he uses too, and he spends time in the house, so this isn't his only exercise). The trouble is that he loved it so much he has spent all night trying to get out into it.....chewing massive amounts of wood from the inside of the playhouse and the gate. How do I bun-proof it ? - I don't want him having access at night as he is securely locked back in the playhouse. Can I staple on some sections of fine chicken wire, and bend it round the upright internal struts (this is his target area) or do I need to attach sections of sheet metal ? Which would be better and easier for me as I need to do it today and deter any more frantic chewing. TIA

What I little monkey!! There are a few things you can do;

Staple chicken wire / wire mesh to the uprights as you suggested, but make sure the hole size is small (his teeth may still get in the gaps of some chicken wire etc;

Screw wooden battons on top of the uprights - so he wears he teeth cheing the battons not your play house or gate! You can get these from Wickes for about 80p each. Although in time he will chew them up and you will need to replace!

Plasterers angle bead - It comes in lengths of 2-3metres, is L shaped so is easy to use for covering uprights/supporting wooden beams etc and it is relatively cheap - less than £2 per length at Wickes. The holes come in different sizes (similar to chicken wire) but it is thicker and more sturdy! It can be a bit sharp at each end when cut so make sure one end is flush against the floor, and the other is way above bunny reach! Even to ceiling height? Or you could bur the ends smooth. Cut it with wire snips/cutters and attach with nails/staples etc.

Hope this helps.. :wave:

We're just doing a playhouse & aviary for our bunny brood & are trying to prevent the same thing happening :? We've bought loads of plasterers strips to put over the wood they would be able to chew - last thing I want them to do is wreck it after a week when we put them in it :roll:

I think quite a few people on here have used them in playhouses etc & there's no way the buns can chew through them. We didn't buy the mesh ones though, we bought smooth alumninum ones - I think they were about £1.50 per 2m from B & Q :)

Thanks SO MUCH !!!! I'm very grateful for both of your detailed advice. I have no car today to get out and buy some of the plasterers whatsits suggested, so will have to temporarily put on some very fine guage chicken wire till I can get out for some at the weekend. Off to do it now.....amazing how much damage one small furry animal can do very quickly isn't it. Shows how quickly they learn things though, as he's not done this until we had the extrenal run added - so he knew there was something fun to do outside !

My bunnys chew there playhouse :lol: I usally move the playhouse about (the contents) around to deter chewing and interestingly I found it worked!

Well, I've done some sections already, and very carefully made sure there are no sharp bits that aren't safetly bent inwards. i don't think moving his things round would work, though thanks for the idea, because he is hell-bent on getting out to the outside area. He has so many things in there to chew ; willow tubes, large cardboard tubes, various wooden gnaw blocks, but he WANTS OUT !!! :lol:

You can buy metal cornering fomr B&Q and wickes. Drill a couple of holes and nail it to the corners.

Back