• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

very tough vet visits today :(U/D maybe i gave up too soon will try harder

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:( id only had two hrs sleep i was sooo worried....and ive got pmt too so my blackouts and jerks complimentary of my epilepsy...almost led me to having a seizure there:shock: i also got confused talking to the vet...and then couldnt tell her what questran was used for...shes dutch and it probably is under a diff name..could i recall it..nope...aarghhhh

Anyway we began with bif and her vhd jab and gassy tum.stasis probs...bifs lost 200g since last visit andbetween ellen and nikki andi weve come to the descision to give a dose of fibreplex every other day or everyday even to keep her tum working better. ellen said theres actually a form of infacol especially for rabbits they use in holland but its got some horrific side effects etc:shock:
she said to give it to her like we usually do along with the regular fibreplex if thats whats keeping the gi probs levelling out and we can avoid metaclopramide syrup etc.

Then Bertie....my big brave boy:(.....the ulcer has got bigger in his eye......so ellen tried to get hold of john chitty AGAIN but hes still away:(
so because one of her other vets at animed..mark no less..is giving a dog serum therapy she felt a lot more confident about threating bertie with it.
So she made nikki try to put him on his side etc nothing owrked. so niki tipped him on his back in her lap and ellen shaved a massive patch f fur off his thigh and got lyn to apply pressure whist she took a load of bloods...he was soooo good and never complained once..

the blood is made into a serum and given to him in his eye along with other eye drops in the hope it will heal it. if it doesnt..it doesnt look good for berties poor eye.....i squeaked does that mean losing his eye and she said we hope not:(
now only time will tell.poor bertie:(

Next up was poor wee casper:(
the teeth i thought had grown back were actually his peg teeth which hadnt been removed due to the probelm he had with the GA and she said they dnt grow fast at all and can be easily and safley trimmed not like normal inscisors.
BUT she is very concerned about the fact we saw pus there..it emans its spread to the open holes left behind form his top teeth and thats not good..means its in the bones:(
theres still pus coming form the abscess ite its not totally clsoed over but too deep for us to flush now:(
she said to not bother iwth the baytril now and finish up the metronizadole (flagyl) for today and tomorrow and shes given a few days extra...BUT she doesnt want to give him anymore if it doesnt work.
she said if it does help a little or the little fella is ok for a few weeks or maybe a month then hell have that time..if he is lucky. BUT she says if the pus is back...she feels its better for him to be pts:cry::cry:

so i came out of the vets with a very very heavy heart.

my blackouts became so bad i had to get home and go to bed..i tried getitng up at about 3pmish and had a bit of french bread i thought theyd stopped but oh no....then i had an arguement with nikki and i got so upset i burst into tears...my mum had to go with nikki to pick up berties eye drops and bring htem home. i ened up sleeping for a few hours and this evening at about 9pm i surfaced feleing rotten but not blacking out and chucking things aorund like i was..phew!! and i avoided a full blown seizure yay..altho after today i might have enjoyed the temp memory loss after.

The only decent time in the vets was trying to talk to ellen about bicillin therapy for bunny abscesses and how its not used in the uk..she said they used it in holland but it became to nasty for the buns so they avoided it unless it was buns last hope cos of the gut probs. i then said well i have heard on here that questran can be used to try and help the gut toxicity problem..she didnt know what it was..i couldnt rember its other name or even what its for normally..and iw as talking ga ga by this point:oops:
so i told her ill ring her when my epileptic attacks have finsihed today but i didnt as i had them all day. so tomoororw ill ring her.

then nikkis got berties eye drops regime confused anyway so il be ringing up yet again:roll:

so all in all a pretty naff day and a very heavy hearted visit to the vets:(:cry:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you've had such a rough day :( Hopefully some bunny savvy people on this thread can offer some better alternatives than the vet's advice. I feel especially sorry for Casper. I hope that some pus from another section of the mouth sank into that hole or something, and it's not in the bone.

My offer still stands if you need someone to vent to late at night. I'm so sorry for all this and I hope you have a much better day tomorrow. (((hugs)))

I'm sorry things are so stressful at the moment :(

I have Eddie on Metronidazole and Septrin together. I think the Metronidazole works much better when paired with the septrin, so may be worth asking about :)

:( i dont know liz....really i dont..should i ask for a second opinion....the case is pretty well shut because of his size and past injuries and reaction to Ga.ie dying for a while till they got him back.

i oculd sit n cry..i cant bear to touch him and he knows it..weve almost avoided him last 24hrs apart from the meds..its breaking our hearts:cry:

tonight were going to let him lose on the landing to dash about like he did before his op....
i am not sure about the grass now in my thread in health about pasturella living onthe garden.

btw liz..he got his parcel today..ill be trying him with some later..hes sleeping now. he says fank you and sends sniffy kisses like he always does to us.

ok less hormonal today so a bit more composed:oops::oops:

i realsied ellen had gievn casper as much metronidazole as he had at the very beginning and has just has last of today so its going to be a longer dose than i realised:shock: than she did too i think!!
cant see any pus but were not probing his little mouth around too much right now.

hes been a bit fretful digging all the time in his cage so we figure hes feeling livley enough to come out on the landing tonight..hopefully....as were having to give bertie his drops so often and i cant use the damned pipette system with the serum cos of my blackouts..normal drops fine but long pointy pipette..na ah!:oops:

in fact berties due a dose in a mo...so wont be long.

Caspers clamed down a bit down..he was panic riddled from the vet trip and us suddenly giving up on him. Today i decided what right did i have to give up..hes a little miracle according to the vets and hes such a fighter.if he wants to try then i want to try and help him do that as long as he wants to.

cant believe i was overtaken by such dark feelings....guess its cos of losing bandit like we did a few days after agreeing to casper and having to wait a few weeks for him. over emotional.

hes such a sweet weeny little fella..im going to have to take a piccy of him tonite and put it up...or rather nikki will lol !

i was able to take them off my phone when i plugged it in to charge but now it says it needs the software disc..which is....i have no idea since the cats tiped the box over last year..and ive not been able to find the disc or the card adapter:oops:

Liz i will give him some of the treat mush after hes gone to bed tonite.....hes going to wee and poo all over my landing so he will have a nice tidy cage:lol:

hes such a cutie pie i am hoping the extra meds will help and if not then im going to discuss the possibility of mix of spetrin perhaps..its becaue a culture and sensitivity test couldnt be done as his heart stopped..and she had to save him first and foremost. and she forgot..shes human after all.

i have given her the urls about bicilin therapy in the usa and the name of questran to look up so maybe next week i can take casper in for a check up or maybe two weeks time and then discuss it. At least shes open to listening but im surprised as she has had more tricks up her sleeve form working in holland but things have been stoped there due to mortality rates etc.
But she said if i wanted to explore the regime if there was nothing else left to try then shed happily help me out. But right now if ts gone to his jawbone she doesnt hold out nay hope due to the aggressive treatemnt which could actually kill him anyway or the the GA.

so i guess i just have to slap myself aorund a little:oops:

i wonder if its just the pus from lower down jaw sticking to the upper teeth removal site? she couldnt be sure either...hes such a wriggler..very very wild..have to be sedated for that!

I'm so glad you're sticking it out with Casper. I think we all get frustrated sometimes and have dark thoughts. I remember being on the bathroom floor with Eddison when he was in a lot of pain and wouldn't eat, but still had the spirit to spit out my Critical Care, despite my best efforts. I just burst into tears saying "PLEASE PLEASE EAT! JUST EAT!" We got through it, and I think my little buddy loves me more than ever :love:

Just hang in there, and we're here to support you every step of the way. Casper deserves it. :)

Looking after such a poorly bunny is such a rollercoaster ride, you are going to have bad days, don't be too hard on yourself for that :)

If there is anything at all I can do to help just pm me. I'm not online so much at the moment as we are trying to build our aviary so out in the garden most of the time but I do try to check pm's a couple of times a day :)

I hope casper enjoys his run out this evening and his little bedtime treat :love:

thank you sidereus 7...and i know exactly what you eman when ebrtie became overcome by grief when willow died and he wouldnt eat.....you just want to to cry...i know we did cos berties usally a big eater..and a cuddle monster..he just disappeared inside himself...
but he pulled through bless him only to get this eye ulcer bless him.

Caspers decided he hates me last two nights and has even tried biting me with his peg teeth:shock: he was not in the mood for the landing he said...he wanted to run round nikkis bed..he was binkying and binkying and racing round then got narked and kept taking it out n the towel etc on ehr bed..he peed on her bed twice and ignored hi slitter tray in her bed that he normally uses so good.

hes bad tempered doesnt want to know baout the landing or bed.....hes soooo bad tempered..maybe cos we smell so much of bertie where hes getitng so many eye drops and cuddles to calm him down after...maybe hes jealous?
so liz hes not had his treat tonight..well see how he goes tomorrow..maybe he needs some metacam again? hes not had any for a few days now..thought he was ok...but now im not so sure..hes not eaitng hay at all now.

You know hes so sweet normally and tonite hes showed us he can be a very different bunny:shock: maybe hes picked up on me trying to distance myself form him like i did with willow when she was young and got head tilt...

so if hes still like it tomorrow morning when he has his flagyl i wil also give him some metacam..and then let him sleep the owrst off before eltitng him run riot.....its the time we spend with bertie..sounds crazy but hes having one lot of eye drops twice a day and not withing half an hour of the others..then the serum drops four times a day for which weve been told to wear gloves:shock:

we will take it very slowly with casper tomorrow..its either pain frustration or sexual frustration..it is spring and he is an entire buck:shock:

thank you liz..thats so nice of you..good luck with the aviary!!

im lucky caspers not as ill as some buns are and his life span has been considerably shortened..and he would have been unrehomeable in his situation i guess. He is usually very funny a little clown like bandit was and oscar and woozle..something about small littel boy bunies?

i tried to take apic of his mouth buts its not at all clear or close enuff..it was on my mobile..so tomorow nikis going to charge our digital camera and then maybe she can get a better shot....

hes such a special little guy and shocked us at how nasty hes become last few days..but its only since the vets so i guess maybe im right..he felt us give up or at least me anyway..and also spring has arrived...and he maybe in a little pain.

how do you all manage to stay level headed?

:shock:

How do I manage to stay level headed? I hide my insanity :lol:

It sounds to me like Casper is just cranky from being in pain. The poor thing is probably just frustrated with being poked and prodded, combined with jealousy from all the attention Bertie's getting, and he's got to deal with his mouth feeling funny, which affects his eating. I'm cranky when I have a sore throat because it hurts when I swallow, and I'm miserable when I don't eat.

I think sometimes I expect my bunnies to be superhuman (superbunny?). I want them to bounce and smile when I come in the room everyday. But no doubt, every day is different for them as it is for me, so I am always patient.

I'm sure Casper is a sweet bun. He just needs some extra love and patience. :)

I agree that Casper is probably in pain, he is going through an awful lot. Personally I would have him dosed up daily on Metacam. As you have said he isn't going to have a really long life so the best you can do is make it as comfortable as possible :)

Hope he feels a bit happier today :D

If you are going to go with a second opinion and can get out to Emsworth Debs, then I'd reccomend seeing our Claire...I'm more than happy to come up with you.

I don't know whose at Pet Doctors in Drayton anymore as I don't go there now.

Sending lots of love and nose rubs as always :love:

thank you hun i really appreciate that but emsworths just too far..saying that shedfields further but thats an emergency trip only.

if i am not happy then first id seek a second opinion from a diff vet there.caroline whos an exotics vet......but only if it doesnt cause probs...and if not then ill see what the taxi fare is to emsworth and id be paying your bus fare this time;)

he is getitng better this evening..hes had an hour or so run aorund on the landing but was aggressive but binkying...hed had pain meds this morning..and this evening hes been very quiet....and just now..2am ish i changed his water gave him more pelets and a teeny bit of the stalky hay to see if he fancies fighting that. he then put his nose up as i rubbed it..he didnt push me away but held his nsoe there for me to rub..awwww.

i do worry about the bit of flesh left hanging as if its his lip..it keeps getitng sore on the end..ellen said its cos its whats left of his lower lip and is normally moist but now is dry...trying to figure out how to help him there but the abscess is the vital thing now.

hes going to be ratty again so im going to give him some metcam again in the morning and ring ellen monday to tell her im giving him pain meds now again..hes not pain free at all by any means!!

i think cos hes so bouncy hes presumed to be fine n dandy which is why ellen was shocked this time round too...poor wee fella.

if he does go soon zuzu will be mortified..she loves him but not in the way he wants her to:lol:

:wave: Not been online for a few days and wondered how this brave boy is doing? Hope both of you are holding up, loads of vibes for you all x

Back