• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chloe's stasis and other problems...

Martine

Alpha Buck
Hi everybody, I did not feel like talking about it too much because it's painful, :( but my Chloé (6 years old) has had statis 3 weeks ago and she's been at the Savvy Vet Clinique on and again as she was well and unwell and she had injections, force-feeding, cutaneous re-hydratation, blood tests, x-ray, echographs, urine test etc etc she had all the tests possible because she still produces small poos in spite of a proper feeding rich in fiber, hay, veg, water etc. which she always had anyway. They also found blood in the urine test.. and her urineray track is ok, with normal calcium production etc...liver, kidney, everything is OK, no obstruction in her gut, so she will most probably live with it needing constant watch ..

She never had health problems for all her life and I'm quite pessimistic that it should start now...in parallel with her dental and brevundimonas diminuta infection she had in January. As it has been lasting for quite a long time, although she is out of danger with the statis.

Did anyone had similar problems following a stasis ?

I'm so afraid of losing her before she even reach an old age

Last edited:
Has Chloe been spayed ?
Also, amongst all the investigations did she have a thorough Dental examination again? As she had a Dental in January her recent episode of stasis may be due to her having Dental problems again. Small poos often occur in 'Dental' Rabbits even if they dont go off their food.
One of my Rabbits (Maya) developed Dental problems at the age of 7. She had never had any problems before and was raised on a good hay based diet.
Maya had to have Dentals ever 5 weeks at one stage. She then had to have her Incisors extracted. We now manage to go for over 3 months between Dentals. Maya's poos are always on the small side but they become even smaller when she requires a dental. She had one today :)

thank you Jack, yes, everything is under control for dental. She is in good hands and her dental regularly checked with molar cut under GA, she was spayed at 7 months... the origin of stasis is sometimes difficult to trace, scientists still do not know it all and I must admit thru the medical thread I posted on stasis in this section, that it is a bit worrying... She is under medication... Her dental problem started at 5 years old... she had too many ailments recently ...

Last edited:
thank you but Chloe has 90% of hay and all she needs as veg and that's why I posted this medical article on Statis in this rubric which I found very interesting for other people who have the same problem:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

, so food and liquids are not the problems, and she has been on natural food since her early childhood :lol: so this is why i'm worried unless it is a vicious circle originated by stress as mentioned in this article

Last edited:
thank you but Chloe has 90% of hay and all she needs as veg and that's why I posted this medical article on Statis in this rubric which I found very interesting for other people who have the same problem:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

, so food and liquids are not the problems, and she has been on natural food since her early childhood :lol: so this is why i'm worried unless it is a vicious circle originated by stress as mentioned in this article

Maybe she picks up on your anxiety ?

well, you maybe right because I've been very tense recently due to other problems and animals are like sponges and absorb our emotions, so seeing her that way added to my stress, because she is not a stressed rabbit normally, she always has been very near to humans and a cool rabbit :lol:

well, you maybe right because I've been very tense recently due to other problems and animals are like sponges and absorb our emotions, so seeing her that way added to my stress, because she is not a stressed rabbit normally, she always has been very near to humans and a cool rabbit :lol:

Awwww well maybe you both need to do a bit of Yoga and relax :lol:

Here is Miss Bunny Penny doing a Yoga session !!

Picture2414.jpg

Awwww well maybe you both need to do a bit of Yoga and relax :lol:

Here is Miss Bunny Penny doing a Yoga session !!

Picture2414.jpg

I believe that's the Warrior 4 pose! Very rare and amazing to have captured on film! :lol:

Martine, it sounds like you're doing everything possible for your bun. The long list of testing will attest to that! I'm sending good vibes her way, because I have no helpful advice.

Bunnie has been in stasis x2 , she use to get an upset tummy alot so her poo use to come out a bit splodgy about once a week. her diet was hay, a few pellet and some veg. We reduced her veg and noticed less poo blowouts. After her 2nd bout of stasis and the vet doing tests and examinations in hospital I thought about stopping her veg and fruit completely as I swore it was the veg and hay presto the blow outs stopped, wayne un beknown to me gave her some spring green cos he felt bad for her as she loved it and what happened a upset tum and a poo blowout flicked up the wall. He learn't his lesson and after a told you so from me she has now not had veg for over a year and all is well no more messy bum or stasis (touches wood).

Last week a gave her a tiny weenie bit of banana (wasn't even worth bothering with) but bunny loved it and no tum upsets.

you could try cutting a a certain veg or fruit one by one and see if any changes, anything maybe worth a try.

Paws crossed for your bun and hope gets better soon and trouble free x

Thank you very much everybody :wave:

Jack and Sidereus7 : You are right for the relaxation !!! yes Sidereus7 I can't do more than what she had, just have to live with the problem and be careful about it.. that she now have small poos in spite of a huge amount of hay 24h a day... a big pack in the morning to last the day and another in the evening for the night.. always fresh and smelly as I conserve it in a cool room, in the dark in paper bags, , not plastic which can cause content fermentation when weather is hot...

CRBevis : thanks a lot also ; yes it is strange for the connexion to eating veg with your rabbit, as they normally say to increase it, all depending upon the origin of the stasis, so to me after having read this article, as they say, each case is individual... and patience also as it can take several weeks before returning to normal, or never return to normal

Youve done a great job with your bunny :D

Im going through something like this with Fudge. Her poo got small so she got kept in overnight. Got her home the next day as she was producing a fair amount of poo, was given Zantac and Metacam to give for a few days which helped her poo get nice and big but after the zantac stopped her poo has started going small again :?
Leaving for vets soon to get to the bottom of this so i hope she gets better soon!

And i really hope your bunny gets better soon xxx

Thankyou Fudgemallow, and I am sorry to hear that Fudge also suffers from that and hope she recovers for good, because it is really a nightmare to see them like this, in pain before they are relieved.... they suffer in complete silence, poor little things.. Many rabbits are impacted by this as I can see... and we do all we can to feed them correctly, to brush them when shedding and help but apparently they are other factors so I keep my fingers X for Fudge

Thankyou Fudgemallow, and I am sorry to hear that Fudge also suffers from that and hope she recovers for good, because it is really a nightmare to see them like this, in pain before they are relieved.... they suffer in complete silence, poor little things.. Many rabbits are impacted by this as I can see... and we do all we can to feed them correctly, to brush them when shedding and help but apparently they are other factors so I keep my fingers X for Fudge

Atleast there are people that notice when their bunnies are ill. I noticed Fudge un-well almost straight away, as with most people on RU, I really feel for the bunnies whos owners dont notice til its too late and there is simply nothing that can be done.
Stasis is deffinately a silent killer that most owners should be made aware of, unfortunately some people wouldnt even care :(

I hope Chloe gets better one day and she has nice big golden poo :D Sending vibes xxx

Thank you Fudgemallow, I know that some people wait for too long not knowing this problem and I must say that I have met vets non-specialized in rabbits under-reacting that rabbits can die very quickly... I am pleased to see that on this forum people take great care of their pets and are quickly on the alert when something is wrong. Because we know their reactions so well that we see the odd behavior ...Hope your little Fudge gets on well as well.. we are so worried mums ! :love:

Fran%E7ais03.gif

Back