• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

building muscles U/D shocking

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
the rabbit i'm potentially adopting sounds as if he has muscle wastage, his legs are like wee sticks apparently. has anyone any experience on how to build this up again, i assume you gradually increase their space over time. he'll have shared accomdation with petal in the shed and a 6x4 run, plus i always bring petal into the house in the evening so i was gonna just restrict them to the hallway till he's house trained and builds up muscle. does this sound okay?

Last edited:
Poor little thing ! I think he must have lived in a cage before so never had a chance to jump and run... I think yes you are right, so the other bun will induce him to move and have exercise but of course, do it gradually, not too much run in a go, it must be a slow process, and thank you for him he will have a new happy life...

B had muscle wastage in her right forepaw[it was the xray for this that brought on her cystitis-along with the anaesthetic & stress of being pulled around before anaesthetic].Was never told how to build it up,maybe that was cos shes a free range housebun.She used to have bouts of holding it up in the air but hasn't done that for over a year.I presumed it will never be completely right,was I wrong,can they get 100% better?

It's really, really important that you build up the space and exercise very slowly - much as it would be tempting to give him lots of space. If he's really bad it might be as well to not allow them access to the run to start off with - if it's just for a week or so it's not the end of the world and it's best to start a new bond in a smaller space anyway.

It's not just the muscle that's the concern, but buns who have muscle wastage also lose bone mass, so they are at much higher risk of fractures and they can even break their back if they rush about and binky too soon. It all needs to be slowly and surely - if the wastage has been due to lack of food as well as exercise the weight should go back on fairly rapidly with a good diet and some extra pellets etc, but be careful with increasing the space because the bone density will take longer.

thanks guys for the replies, i'll know more once i see him on saturday as to how bad he is. feel so sorry for the critter. he was getting checked over in the vets on tuesday and neutured too so he must be reasonably okay for them to go ahead and put him under anaesthetic. will keep you's up dated. :wave::D

well i've been to see him, he is tiny and thin! the girl said he's put on weight since coming so i can't imagine how he was when he came in, for a two year old he is tiny! is this the cause of cramp conditions and no exercise? his wee legs really are like twigs which i find so shocking. will these fill out in time?
his poos seem good and his teeth are good. poor thing, really wanted to bring him home right there but have to wait till shed done.

Poor thing :oops: I think the vet will tell you what to do for his muscles problem and maybe give you some supplement to food to help him with very slow exercise..

corn is fattening. But in your case, i would definitely give some corn. My buns eats 3 rings (about 24 little piece) of corn per day during summer. We only get corn in the summer, so it's about 4 mth.

thanks for replies guys. i'll have a look for that corn. not sure how i'm gonna feed him it without petal getting any as she's very greedy. :lol:

Back