• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bit upset with the vets/UD

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Went to pick up eclipses ashes yesterday and had to pay a charge which I expected but that included euthanasia injection. I was led to believe that he just died in her arms not pts :cry: she said she would let me make the desision should the time come but she didn't :cry: I don't know what to think.

Last edited:
That is absolutely not right and you need to take this up with the Vet.
But if you signed a consent form prior to his admission it may have included a clause re euthanasia.

:cry:

I signed a consent form and no where on it did it state that. She said she would call me if the desision had to me made. I'm in pieces :cry: the past can't be changed I know that :(

:(:(:( Oh no. :(

I know that the past can't be undone, but you should definitely take it up with the vets (although it's probaby the last thing you feel like doing) especially as they omitted that part when they explained that Eclipse had passed away. Or maybe it's an error on the bill.

As sad as it may be they may just be trying to make more money which is unforgivable
Question why the vet said he died in her arms..and then say that you know it is illegal to PTS without permission..
It will get you answers and a smaller bill..very bad practice either way:(

I'll ask my friend.. They didn't even call me when his ashes were ready so he was sat there for 3 days. I feel a bit sick :cry:

That is outrageous, if they were able to contact you there is no reason they should have PTS without your explicit consent. When I had Caspian PTS I was asked to sign a consent form (albeit at the most unappropriate time).

On the legal side of things please have a read of this article: RCVS Euthanasia Without Consent

I have quoted some relevant parts below but I cannot see how your circumstances even remotely relate to the procedures outlined. I would check the bill with the vets and try to clarify if Eclipse was actually PTS or if it is a clerical error and then decide if you would like to take matters further.

26. Just as relevant are a veterinary surgeon's concerns about an owner's refusal to consent to euthanasia where an animal's immediate welfare is compromised. After full consideration of all the relevant issues, veterinary surgeons can only advise their clients and act in accordance with their professional judgement. Where an animal's welfare is compromised because of an owner's refusal to allow euthanasia, a veterinary surgeon would be justified in informing the client of other action which might be taken.

Euthanasia without the owner's consent

27. The Animal Welfare Act 2006 (which applies in England and Wales), the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 and the Welfare of Animals (Northern Ireland) Act 1972 contain provisions to safeguard the welfare of animals. For animals in distress, there are no provisions in these Acts which specifically authorise a veterinary surgeon to destroy an animal. Under the 2006 Acts, powers to destroy an animal or arrange for its destruction are conferred on an inspector (who may be appointed by the local authority) or a constable. A veterinary surgeon may be asked to certify the condition of the animal is such that it should in its own interests be destroyed. An inspector or constable may act without a veterinary certificate if there is no reasonable alternative to destruction and the need for action is such that it is not reasonably practical to wait for a veterinary surgeon.

28. Under the Welfare of Animals (Northern Ireland) Act 1972, the police may summon a veterinary surgeon, or take action themselves, where the owner refuses to give consent or is absent.

29. The veterinary surgeon should obtain a written and signed instruction to destroy from the officer in charge, including his identity number and the log number of the incident at a given police station.

30. However, a person may commit an offence if an act or failure to act causes an animal to suffer unnecessarily. If, in the opinion of the veterinary surgeon, the animal’s condition is such that it should, in its own interests, be destroyed without delay, the veterinary surgeon may need to act without the owner’s consent and should make a full record of all the circumstances supporting the decision in case of subsequent challenge.

Last edited:
I have always had to sign a consent form if an animal is going to be pts....I hate it because its like signing a death warrant but it has to be done .....you really need to get some answers about it from your vets.x

I'll ask my friend.. They didn't even call me when his ashes were ready so he was sat there for 3 days. I feel a bit sick :cry:

I'm sorry. :( That's appalling. :(

Hopefully your friend will be able to call for you; it's definitely something that needs looking into. xx

:cry::cry::cry::cry: that is so shocking you poor soul xxxx

my vets definately phoned and asked if my cat was allowed to be PTS when they was in the middle of the operation, they even had to wait for my mom to phone me to discuss and for her to phone back

there is no excuse for what they did :evil::evil: i would be seeking legal advice if it happened to any of my furries

Thats an upsetting thing to read but it could just be that an error has been made between the Vet and the "Billing" section.

Oh hun that's awful. I am happy to ring the vets concerned if you need me to. Could you PM which vets it was out of interest - I couldn't imagine my regular vets doing this but you never know....

this makes me angry just reading this.... that is appauling! :evil: I'm so sorry that has happened to you.. I hope you can find the time to settle this out, they have no right to do that :(

Back