• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another FOX WARNING

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Please, please if you have HOUSE RABBITS do not assume that they are safe from Foxes, especially URBAN FOXES. These creatures have no fear at all and are very likely and able to come INTO YOUR HOUSE via open doors, windows and CAT FLAPS.
Do not assume that the risk of this is any less during daylight hours or if you have a Pet Dog.

Foxes can come into your house and given half a chance THEY WILL

Yes, it has happened again................

Please, please if you have HOUSE RABBITS do not assume that they are safe from Foxes, especially URBAN FOXES. These creatures have no fear at all and are very likely and able to come INTO YOUR HOUSE via open doors, windows and CAT FLAPS.
Do not assume that the risk of this is any less during daylight hours or if you have a Pet Dog.

Foxes can come into your house and given half a chance THEY WILL

Yes, it has happened again................

Is everything ok Jane :( .

Thankfully all the Rabbits are OK. I had to open my Kitchen window this morning as I had burnt some toast which set off my smoke alarms.
I am so bloody stupid and I went upstairs forgetting to close the kitchen window. About 10 minutes later there was an almighty crash and all hell broke loose in the kitchen. I charged down stairs to find a bloody Fox on the kitchen floor and the Buns in the kitchen going completely mad. I opened the back door but the Fox ran into the lounge. So I had to chase it out of the front door.

I have just seen Christobel (Vet) and I was in such a state. She said that last night her neighbours saw a Fox with another neighbours Cat in its mouth.
Thankfully the Cat got away. Christabel has checked him over and he is OK.

Something has to be done about Urban Foxes. The situation is now completely unacceptable.

OMG Jane, I would have been petrified.

Poor buns and yourself :(

Glad that they are unharmed..

Kitchen window :shock: THats terrible, you should be able to have kitchen windows open in your own home!!

Jane - there is a high pitched noise in a little box that you can get to pin to your garden fence that scares them away? Humans cant hear it. Although im not sure if it affects buns?

My goodness that must have been so scarey!....Ive never seen foxes here during the day,I'm well aware that they are about at night and they killed some of my chickens a couple of years ago but to come indoors??!!

I hope theres no lasting effects for the rabbits after their scare .

OMG Jane, I would have been petrified.

Poor buns and yourself :(

Glad that they are unharmed..

Kitchen window :shock: THats terrible, you should be able to have kitchen windows open in your own home!!

Jane - there is a high pitched noise in a little box that you can get to pin to your garden fence that scares them away? Humans cant hear it. Although im not sure if it affects buns?

I have not been able to leave downstairs windows open for almost 5 years unless I am in the room. I have already had a House Rabbit murdered by an Urban Fox.

I am now trying to work out how to secure grills to all downstairs windows as I have to be able to ventilate the rooms and I cant always sit and watch the air exchange.

Christabel is furious as a Fox Welfare Organisation refuse to believe that Foxes will enter a house :censored:

I have not been able to leave downstairs windows open for almost 5 years unless I am in the room. I have already had a House Rabbit murdered by an Urban Fox.

I am now trying to work out how to secure grills to all downstairs windows as I have to be able to ventilate the rooms and I cant always sit and watch the air exchange.

Christabel is furious as a Fox Welfare Organisation refuse to believe that Foxes will enter a house :censored:

:censored:
Its not like you could take a picture in all that panic, but that would seem the only proof!!

Another solution.. Have you got a male who could pee around the edge of your garden?!
This is also meant to defer teh little :censored:

you can get really sturdy grills that fit on the outside of windows, to prevent human intruders....they might be expensive though.

glad all the buns are ok

Donna had one in her house a few years ago, I think she found it on the dog bed under her stairs.
Foxes and squirrels both have become a real pest, they are intelligent and determined, and have lost all fear of humans. Last week one of our bin bags was ripped open and the rubbish was spread out all over our front garden. I am thinking about getting a wheelie bin, but we have to buy it ourselves, as Richmond council doesn't offer them. Having all rubbish in closed bins would make it much harder for foxes, rats and squirrels to find food. Although the foxes might then turn to pets even more. :(

Glad your bunnies are all ok. Can you get metal fly screens for windows over here? That would be a good idea.

:censored:
Its not like you could take a picture in all that panic, but that would seem the only proof!!

Another solution.. Have you got a male who could pee around the edge of your garden?!
This is also meant to defer teh little :censored:

You would not believe the hate campaign waged against Christabel after she wrote an article in the local paper about the serious Fox problem. One of her nurses cats was dismembered by a Fox, the poor girl literally had to pick bits of the Cat up from her garden :cry:

Donna (ARC) found a Fox asleep in one of her dogs beds.

But you contact this Fox Welfare Organisation for advice as to how to deter the Fox and you are just told to 'get rid of your Rabbits' or that 'a Fox would never enter a House or kill a Cat'.

If you argue that this is not the case they just accuse you of being a 'pro hunting extremist' :shock:

I have already been threatened with legal action if I say anything negative about the organisation online or in the press. Hence I cannot name them.
Christabel had threatening letters.

:evil:

Looks like a no hoper then Jane.
Take matters into your own hands, which shouldnt be the case at all!! :censored:

If people aren't going to help you, then you need your own deterrants, and that doesnt include getting rid of your rabbits or keeping your windows shut :censored:

Ah, another one of those extremist organisations. I wish they'd see the whole picture and not live in lala land and just think of the foxes. They could at least give some sensible advice.

But I also think that it is impossible to get rid of urban foxes, if you kill one, then others will move into its place. As long as they can find so much food in the cities, they will choose to live there. People need to be aware that if they let their cat go outside, then it might get attacked by a fox, or a hateful neighbour or run over by a car. It is our job to protect our pets.

It is our job to protect our pets.

Yes, but I am now living in a permanent state of seige and fear.

I know I left the window open, but IMO I should not have to keep all my downstairs windows closed 24/7.
I am sorry that this will offend some people but if I had a shotgun I'd use it.

Oh no I can't imagine how terrifying that was for you. Glad all the bunnies are OK. I'm paranoid about them even though I have never seen one around here but there is always a first time. My buns are upstairs.

How scary for you and the buns, Jane; thankfully the fox made a lot of noise getting in or who knows what could have happened. :(

we used to warn foxes away with a b b gun! (no pellets in it) the noise just scared them off.then my hubbie pee'e all round the garden and the dog arrived!

Back