• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

his teeth have grown back after a week..omg!!

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
we tried this evening to see if we could get the tooth extraction area with the abcess removed to open back up even a little way..no success.
THEN TO MY HORROR
i realised the wet cotton balls were snagging on something in his mouth....and then i saw something i hadnt seen before...his top teeth have either not been removed properly or theyve grown back..in a week?:shock:
looking at it again.its definately grown back as its sharp narrow spikes must have been root material grown back....maube when his heart stopped and they got him back..they didnt get all the top roots?
The heartbreaking thing is theres some pus there now too:(

im going to the vets tomorrow with bertie for his eye check up..bif for her vhd jab and gi slowdown and mums hunnybunny to have her vhd jab. So im going to ring them and say im bringing him in come what may..its an emergency as its very sharp sore and infected.

i could rant and rave at the vet..but its one of those things..a bit of germinal tissue gets left behind..the roots grow again..in this case as sharp spikes..but the books etc say from 4 to 8 weeks after the op to keep an eye out:shock:

the original infection has walled itself back in..now its in the top too.....omg..now what:cry:

Poor little mite!

He's not having much luck with his teefs at the mo. I haven't had a dental bunny before so don't have any advice, but I'm sending vibes and cuddles for him to get better soon. I hope there will be some good news at the vets tomorrow. You must be so worried, hope you are ok hun.

Thank you....no ive only ever had one bun before that had all inscisors out and she never had a problem after....but she never had an abscess either.

I took this little mite on..im glad i did hes been a real eye opener and yet another learning curve...all my buns have and i thank them all for what i learnf orm one goes to to help the next one and so on. This little mites so full of fun and affection...he doesnt deserve this after all the injury losing his lower lip and the effects....what did he do to deserve this:(

ive distanced myself from him...i have a real bad feeling but then my kittycat is ver poorly too and i have a horrible sinking feeling:(

me...im ok..just worried sick..ill post after vets...........

Oh my gosh, poor little Casper. :cry: This is absolutely breaking my heart, and I really want him to pull through. You've been such a good mum through all of this, and he knows that.

Please feel free to PM me if it's an odd hour of the night and you need someone to vent to, as my hours are much different in Seattle!

Come on, Casper! Hang in there!

It sounds like peg teeth, but a week is bloody fast for even those to make a reappearence unless they were snapped off in surgery rather than removed. Is it possible it's actually just hard tissue? Mack had some that felt like teeth for a couple of weeks (though his pegs have now grown back).

Don't worry though, they can be snipped down very quickly and easily as they are pretty fragile in comparison to the actual incisors themselves. Mack has only had to have one of his cut once in 5 months.

Debbie I am so sorry, I have posted on your other thread.

i guess it is possible it was a bit rushed as he stuggled under GA and maybe that is why there is a problem now :(

my bunny had a tooth grow back but after several months. She also had peg teeth grow back which is more likely what has happened with casper. these can be snipped off so hopefully won't be too much of a worry.

:( im still reeling abit from today....not a good vet visit..long post in rabbit chat.

yes its peg teeth.....and i think its cos of ga probs i was too brainless to keep up:oops:

The uspetting thing is theres pus there too now and the original abscess site in his lwoer jaw still has pus and its not flushable now:( Shes given him a few days more flagyl and said if its spread to his upper jaw where the teeth were removed its very bad news..it means its in his bones/jaw etc and if he is ok for a week maybe amonth but then to be fair to him itll be kidner to have him pts:cry::cry:

im still reeling but i did have a sinking feeling right.

thank you all for your wonderful suport and advice..you guys no matetr what time zone youre in are so wonderful:love:

im just a little sad over poor casper...well at least his last weeks here will be with much love and run arounds and cuddles etc.....something nice to pass over with memories of afetr all hes been through bless him.

Back