• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips on cutting nails on a giant rabbit?!

airymare

Young Bun
I've got a French Lop and because of his weight & strength I'm having enormous difficulty trying to cut the nails on his back feet!

I can't really manage to get him on his back and if I do he'll start kicking almost immediately so that's not really an option.

Does anyone have any ideas how to position him etc to get to those back feet without me getting ripped to shreds?

Thanks

I have to say I'm a wimp when it comes to clipping the nails on our giant buns & quite often give in & take them to the vet :shock: I'm always wary incase they hurt themselves by twisting funny or something :?

so how does your vet do it?

I've always done my own clipping on my rabbits but I've never had such a large one to have to deal with!

Hear no evil, see no evil is my motto. I have two dwarfs, but they're just as bad! Very much squirmers, and they're tiny enough to elude me. I have to wrap Eddison in a towel like a bunny burrito and cover his head. This keeps him calmer and I can sneak his back legs out the sides.

There are some good youtube videos I can recommend you if you you need a demo of the bunny burrito. Just let me know! :)

Like the idea of a bunny burrito! Might give that one a go.

If you can give me some youtube links that would be great!

Cheers!

so how does your vet do it?

I've always done my own clipping on my rabbits but I've never had such a large one to have to deal with!

I leave them with the vet & a nurse :shock::lol: The last time we took Jemima (our bridge giant bun) - it took 2 nurses to hold her :shock::shock::roll:

They held on the table whilst she was laying on it & then managed to pull 1 foot at a time out to clip them. You might be able to do it better if someone was able to help you with it :D

Like the video but I guess I'd have to not wrap his feet up in the burrito so I could get the nails!

Bunnyaddict - when the nurses pulled out the feet - did they pull them out behind the rabbit or forwards, kind of to the side? Thanx.

It was a little to the side, but behind if you get what I mean? The fron paws they pulled slightly forward & raised them off the table.

Like the video but I guess I'd have to not wrap his feet up in the burrito so I could get the nails!

Bunnyaddict - when the nurses pulled out the feet - did they pull them out behind the rabbit or forwards, kind of to the side? Thanx.

I wrap everything in the burrito, but i don't wrap his butt as tightly so I have wiggle room with the towel. Also, his butt is against me when I do it, so he can't wiggle out the back. Then again, I have a .9 kilo rabbit, so it might be different. :lol:

Vet does not cut nails. They sand down nails. Watch this video:

http://peticure.com/

Now view this tutorial:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165483

I stopped using nail clipper, because I always afraid of over cutting into the quick and causes blood. But the consequence that I face is that my bun snap her nail and her finger due to the excessive length of the nail. In the end, I bought the above.

If the nail got too long and you don't cut it, 2 bad things can happen, as they had BOTH happened to my buns:

1) the nail will snap, blood will arise at the snap point, and bacteria can get in from the opening

2) The nail can trap by some sort of hole, and snap the finger joint, then the finger is loose and look like it's broken

Back