• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fat rabbit

tracy08

Warren Scout
I asked last week about what buns should weigh, any way, i weighed Perdy the little fattie today on my digi scales and she was 7lb :shock:

but a friend today says shes wonders if she is a cross between as french too as she is big but not as big as a french lop, Shes what i have been told is a dalmation

SN852352.jpg

Heres a pic of her shes takes up a full seat on the sofa,

she doesnt look as big as id expect, dont worry a dwarf lop isnt a small bunny, the word dwarf should be taken with a pinch of salt! :lol:

but weight wise she is a bit on the heavy side, just reduce the pellets and give more hay and put toys, tunnels etc around for her to play in to encourage exercise!

She doesn't look that fat lying on the sofa!

Does she have much of a dewlap? If a rabbit's overweight a large one can normally be a telltale sign (though female bunnies are susceptible to them.)

Shes actually put weight on since the photo a couple of weeks ago. TBH she doesnt really do much in her run just look for food. Eating the grass etc. She does have babies but they are 6 weeks old now. And i will be the first to admit i over feed them, she acts like shes never fed. Will take another photo of her tomorrow and im going to keep an eye on her weight over the nest few days, shes is so heavy.

As for the dewlap i have noticed when she lies down now or sits there that its getting bigger. Shes getting lazy too. Mind you if shes over weight then i guess thats way, She even jumps in the food bag before i can get it on the bowl, and i have now have to take the bowl out to put food in and when i put it on the hutch she uses her paws and drags it off me.:roll:

i have started cutting down the amount of pellets they get as i want them to eat more hay, they dont eat enough hay. Even though they have plenty thats because of the food i give :roll:

Our Parsley (the bun in my avatar) was a "mini lop" and weighed 5.5kg :shock: on weighing her our vet said "My goodness Parsley, you wiegh more than most cats!" She did have a fair sized dewlap but didn't appear to be fat. I was convinced there was more than a bit if French in her! She was a really fussy eater and ate very little hay. No ownder our dogs and cats were scared of her :lol::lol:

:D thanks she is a big fluff bun, shes a bit grumpy though. As the two i rescued i dont think they were bothered with as they are a bit scared. Molly more so. But i love the fatties.

Shes just so lazy :lol: She flicks her back legs at me when i put her in the run, cheeky mare dont know whats she saying but i can guess its rude

Does she have a husbun? My most recent addition was very fat when she came into the shelter and didn't lose weight very quickly til I took her as she was alone and very inactive. She now runs around the garden with the 15 month old despite being 6 and a half. She is losing weight really well and toning up a treat and it probably helps that she has to fight (not literally) for her share of all the yummy food otherwise it's just hay and grass.

Does she have a husbun? My most recent addition was very fat when she came into the shelter and didn't lose weight very quickly til I took her as she was alone and very inactive. She now runs around the garden with the 15 month old despite being 6 and a half. She is losing weight really well and toning up a treat and it probably helps that she has to fight (not literally) for her share of all the yummy food otherwise it's just hay and grass.

mmmm no as we had to seperate her and her sister, and the now the buck we found. So all she has is her babies, Not sure when i can try bonding mum and dad back together its been 6 weeks this weekend since he was neutered, and the babies are 7 weeks this weekend too.Maybe your right and shes not happy, mind you kids drive you mad dont they. :lol:

Back