• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

orphan babies !!!!!!

can i have some help please got two orphan babies two days old mother
killed the other four so we saved two we have also have a another doe who has had a litter of six in the same hutch and they are three weeks old
fed the two off the foster mother and they are still alive could anyone give some info of what to do next like how often they need feeding can it be done and for how long do they need to be fed sorry about this but i posted it in general chat think this is the right section

How do you know it was the mother that killed the kits if there is also another Doe and her kits in the same hutch :?

coz i watched her eating the one well it was still alive think that gave it away
getting desperate now to save the last two thanks

If you have two females with two lots of babies in one hutch then i think its time they were separated. They cant have alot of room in there and if the babies are dying then you cant know for sure which adult it is killing them. Are the older babies safe in there if one of the adults has started killing them?

If they are taking feeds off the Foster mother then can you take the mother out and leave the kits in with the Foster ?
Getting her to fully accept the Foster Kits would give them the best chance.

they have been seperated two days ago we have the two youngest rapped in a towel and are feeding of the other mother i no which mother killed her own babies so it does not matter now its the two which are still alive thats the concern any help please on feeding times how often they need to be fed of a foster mother if any ones done it before would be a help thanks

If they are taking feeds off the Foster mother then can you take the mother out and leave the kits in with the Foster ?
Getting her to fully accept the Foster Kits would give them the best chance.
thanks for the reply theres a three week age gap between the kits

they have been seperated two days ago we have the two youngest rapped in a towel and are feeding of the other mother i no which mother killed her own babies so it does not matter now its the two which are still alive thats the concern any help please on feeding times how often they need to be fed of a foster mother if any ones done it before would be a help thanks

A Doe will normally only feed the kits once a day, usually at night. If you are going to hold the Foster Kits to the Foster Doe then I'd do it in the evening. The next morning have a look at the kits and if they are very restless and their tummies are quite flat I'd put them on the Foster Doe again. I really would try to get the Foster Doe to accept the new kits if you can. If you can get the new kits covered in the scent of the older kits and their nest it should help.

I'm confused, but I just posted this on your other thread.

They ideally need a foster mum who has kits the same age because the first few days the mum produces a special type of milk. I would suggest calling all the breeders in your area and see if any of them can foster the buns to one of their does.

If not, then your best bet is to use the doe who has kits, but don't keep these young kits in with them until the eyes are open because they are likely to be suffocated. They won't have a great chance of survival, or of being compeltely healthy unless they can have the right milk for a kit of their age.

Have you now separated the two does and the kits to the appropriate mums? This mum probably ate them because she felt threatened due to an unnatural breeding situation (does would not share their nests/space/territory with other does).

A Doe will normally only feed the kits once a day, usually at night. If you are going to hold the Foster Kits to the Foster Doe then I'd do it in the evening. The next morning have a look at the kits and if they are very restless and their tummies are quite flat I'd put them on the Foster Doe again. I really would try to get the Foster Doe to accept the new kits if you can. If you can get the new kits covered in the scent of the older kits and their nest it should help.
we cant put them in with the other kits they are three weeks apart and the two are two days old

can you not hold the mum whos kits they are and put them to feed on her. lay her in your arms on her back but hold gently but securely so she can't kick, but not to stress her out. then let someone place the kits one at a time to the nipple to feed. i have had to do this once, it is quite difficult because if she gets stressed the milk won't flow. luckily it worked for me. you MUST be careful she doesn't hurt her back by kicking out or twisting.

orphan babies.

Firstly:wave:well done you for saving the two babies:Dsome does do kill their offspring:cry:i have taken in as rescues ones that were due to be killed for killing their babies:shock::evil:
The foster bun seems to be doing a great job caring for the little orphan,s so i would leave them with her:)she will only feed once a day probably in the morning so take the older babies (hers) out and let the orphan,s feed first then put the older ones back:)as they are stronger they will still get mum to feed them:)
GOOD LUCK and keep us updated with news:)

dont think she will coz she dosent like being handled that much they just had a good feed of foster mum and had a pee and poo and sleeping now thanks all
for the replies keep you updated maggie

I had a kit born who wan nearly killed by it's mum and managed to move it toanother doe who also had a kit and she accepted it as her own and brought them both up together. I made sure that I covered the kit in her scent first and she didn't seem to notice the difference and she was a great mum to both kits. I'm not sure how it would work witha 3 week gap though as mine were a week apart !:)

orphan babies.

The only problem is that the older babies will try to push the little one,s out of the way at feeding time but as there is only three then they should be alright as (foster)mum has six teats so will be able to accomodate all of them:)check their bellies as if they are feeding well they should have full,round ones:)
Hope they will be fine:)

awww goodluck and keep us posted on the prgress hope everything workls out well for you. i bet your so stressed, Is there no way you could put theback with hte mum if she is out in another hutch but saying this she still might hurt them and thats a big risk

The only problem is that the older babies will try to push the little one,s out of the way at feeding time but as there is only three then they should be alright as (foster)mum has six teats so will be able to accomodate all of them:)check their bellies as if they are feeding well they should have full,round ones:)
Hope they will be fine:)[/
no theres six 3week old kits and the two new kits which are three days old now:)

am a bit confused at the situation so just ant to confirm you had a doe1 who gave birth but left her in the same hutch for 3weeks as an expecting doe2. this doe2 has killed its kits bar 2. doe1 is fostering as best possible but you are concerned about the kit age gap?

has doe1 and doe2 been put into seperate hutches now? if not they will need to be she probebly killed the kits because of the threat of another doe adn kits being in same hutch as they will get even more territorial during birth and nursing time they shouldnt be in the same hutch ever as another mum who has given birth.

i think i would try and put doe2 every night with you there to supervise feeding her own 2 kits if this doesnt work and she goes for kits then seperate again dont leave kits with her other than at evening feed.
if doe1 has accepted them then putting the kits onto her at evening time for a feed but letting them live seperatly indoors in a purpose built nest(if worried about size difference) you could suppliment their feeds if feel not getting enough with goats milk but if you are feeding them it will need to be 4 or 5 times a day where as a mother will only usually feed 1x a day and there still wont be the same nutrients as rabbit milk sadly it is an upward struggle to hand rear bunnies.

is there a breeder near by with new born kits you could prehaps foster the 2 2day olds in? thus saving you the worry of size differnece? please ensure each rabbit has its own space(lactating does) as they will attack kits and each other in these crcumstances. x

Back