• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How best to cope with a mourning rabbit...

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Alyssa did get time to spend with Bailey after he had passed to the bridge, she seems ok, quite calm, and has eaten. is there anything i can do to help her understand?

when my harvey went we spent lots of time with toffee so he didnt have the full affect of being alone... i think they do know that they have gone.. toffee was sitting by watching as my parents burried harvey.
im sorry for your loss and i hope she doesnt pine too much xx

Just watch her closely and be there for her...make sure she gets extra nose rubs etc and try not to alter her routine too much...but make extra time for her.
its odd bertie didnt want to spend time with wilows body and when bandit was pts bif didnt want to now..she sniffed him jjust accepted it and climbed into my arms for a hug.

The thing to be aware of is how they will be so very very down..and very very lonely...do you have another bun or pet that she could be close to or even within sight or smell of?
willow died and left bertie very very ill indeed within 24hrs of her passing..bif was the same the same day her first husbun oscar died and shed been with his body for hours and was still nudging it and squeaking and trying to wake him up.

When bertie felt lonely he could at least spend time against the bars of the pen next to bandit and bif and we even ended up letting them exercise together to help then were even rebonding them a few weeks before bandit had to be pts. luckily for bertie and bif they were never alone as our two cats are soo close to the buns and were there with cuddles and more cuddles and slept next to them when they allowed them to.

by pure chance bertie and bif ended up rebonding themselves after id given up..shared grief and lonliness bought them back togehter.

try putting a snugglesafe heat pad udner a alrge soft toy for her to snuggle with.....wacth food intake and water intake and poos and wees..sit with her talk to her and do NOT sit crying with her..i did this with bif and i made her freak out totally. when you feel the tears start tell her youll be back later and dont go back til youve tried to compose yourself a little bit..she could handle silent tears but not my anguish that went along with it.

dont rush to get her a friend until youre sure shes ok....the new bun wil ahve to be quarantined anyway..soemthing i didnt do withbertie..she was orrible to him once shed elt him wash her and sleep laongsisde ehr in a crate in the kitchen..back int he lounge he was in a paen and she kept attacking him thru the bars etc..
she didnt like him being ack in her room..and was angry at me but he saved her life..shed laid down to die and if he hadnt turned up that evening were sure shed have been gone by morning.

it depends on you and your grief just as much as hers:(

So sorry about Bailey Sarah :(
When Piper passed - I just kept an eye on Phoebe and Holli & give them extra attention.
I didnt want to bring Piper's body home (She died in the vets waiting room) so they didnt get to say "goodbye"
I found Phoebe, in particular to be really really quiet for the first week or so but it was nothing extra nose rubs and some treats didnt put right :)

I gave Sophie a heat pad the first night without Rubix and just gave her loads of attention and treats so she didn't get lonely after that - she was fine just not as lively.

I bought Dusty a bunny soft toy, which she wasn't overly interested in, but she did groom a little. I also kept Clover's carrier with her scent in for a couple of days, so she could wander in and out.

Ive left the carrier out with the towel in that she travelled back with, i think im going to leave the towel in her crate for afew days. Ive also warmed a snuggle safe and given her the teddy bailey had before they met.

I won't be getting her a friend, not in the near future. POssibly after we are married, however she is a house bun and with nicks new job she won't be alone very often.

I could never replace bailey, and tbh, im not sure I want to even try with her. :cry:

I know this is my grief talking but its stopping me crying infront of lys x

Rabbit can get emotional stress from losing a companion. So with the bonding of a companion, you need to get her to smell the body of her companion for about 1/2 hr., then look around in one of the rescue centers in your area, and get him a new bunny companion.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area to refill the energy in your home, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

My bunny Monty passed away in Jan. 2008, his companion Minnie was acting normally for awhile, but then she got lonely after a month or 2, and sat at the gate that separate upstair from downstair everyday. It took me 9 mth. to bond her with her new companion Bernie.

Back