• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues - is it normal practice to temporarily bond buns then split them?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
I have noticed a few times now through watching the website etc that a rescue near me (not one on here as far as I know) will often bond bunnies so they can be housed together at the rescue but then will rehome them separately. Is this normal?

I would never, ever do that, if we bond bunnies then they stay together, we have been asked to seperate but won't, I cannot begin to imagine what the poor bunnies must go through:cry::cry:

I would never in a million years do that, to me that is not thinking of the welfare of the rabbits which I thought rescues were supposed to do

:shock::shock: We dont do that either as it is so unfair on the buns bonding and then bunbonding to rebond again.

Unfortunately, the rescue I volunteer with seem to have started to do this. The welfare of the rabbit is getting lost in the 'need' to rehome. It really upsets me to be honest.

we try and keep them separate although I always wonder what is best for the long termers that you hope might be rehomed if you can overcome what ever problem is causing them to stay in rescue.

:shock:

if we bond a pair of rescue buns then they go as a pair ... would never bond then split up unless it was for medical reasons or because they fell out ..

poor buns :(

That's what I thought to be honest, I just thought a rescue would have known better. I do doubt the knowledge and intentions of the small animal "boss" now. I have seen them bond bunnies in the past and rehome them together which of course is a good thing. Now there are some on the website stating that they can be separated :( I guess it saves space if they double up in hutches but then surely they should only be rehomed together.

Well that's not a rescue I'll be using in future if I'm ever looking for more buns!

We do not split bonded bunnies..have only done in the past after huge fall outs..but other than that they stay together

I know of 2 rescue centers that do this, but they are rescue centres with dogs and cats as well not individual rabbit rescues.

I know one of them stopped doing it at one point as they found it was spreading diseases :?

The place I am referring to has no rescue centre as such, it's all based in the home of the small animals manager and fosterers. I suppose their space is very limited so they can take in more bunnies by doubling up but I don't agree with them then separating them for rehoming :?

The place I am referring to has no rescue centre as such, it's all based in the home of the small animals manager and fosterers. I suppose their space is very limited so they can take in more bunnies by doubling up but I don't agree with them then separating them for rehoming :?

That is still no excuse to bond and then unbond, we all know bunnies are susceptible to illnesses especially cause by stress, those poor bunnies, it's very sad, can you not talk to them and explain

Back