• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance for Buns

Kellyrich

Warren Scout
Hi

After what happened with my little Dave i now want to get insurance to cover my other two and my new one when i get him. Does anybody know any cheap but good insurance providers for rabbits?

Thanks

I wouldnt bother tbh, pet plan do rabbit insurance but I think its better to just put £20 a month into a seperate account of your own, as they wont pay out for everything! plus that way its still your money. Just an idea.

I wouldnt bother tbh, pet plan do rabbit insurance but I think its better to just put £20 a month into a seperate account of your own, as they wont pay out for everything! plus that way its still your money. Just an idea.

yeah they don't pay for routine things just unexpected types of things

That is a very good idea!! i think i will start doing that.. just to put my input with my parents if anything goes wrong. Thanks for the idea :p xx

OMG you've got me worried now.:shock: I'm with Petplan who said they pay out for anything that wasn't a pre-existing condition. What have I missed, what don't they cover?

Phew. Yeah I don't mind paying for vaccs separately. I just like the security of knowing that if something happens and treatment comes to a 100's of pounds (vets fees seem to get there pretty quickly:lol:) then it's covered. And if it's a condition that will last for the bun's lifetime it's covered too:)

Phew. Yeah I don't mind paying for vaccs separately. I just like the security of knowing that if something happens and treatment comes to a 100's of pounds (vets fees seem to get there pretty quickly:lol:) then it's covered. And if it's a condition that will last for the bun's lifetime it's covered too:)

Thing is.. once you claim your monthly payments will prob go through the roof :shock: I guess its good in a way though to have that peace of mind.

Thing is.. once you claim your monthly payments will prob go through the roof :shock: I guess its good in a way though to have that peace of mind.

I was worried about that, and when I took out the policy I asked whether my payments would go up if I claimed but they said they don't operate using that system, the policy will only go up in line with inflation. That's what it says in the written documents I received too, so unless they were lying I don't think that's the case... I just don't have anything in the way of savings, I guess if you have savings you know you can dip into then you have peace of mind too:D

I'm with petplan because I don't want to take the risk. If you end up with a bunny that needs very expensive treatment repeatedly then the insurance will cover it up to a value of £2000 per year and you can claim again next year.

You just need to make sure they have yearly dental checks and don't have any preexisting conditions.

I get 6 weeks free Petplan 'charity cover' with my two (still unnamed!) but I’m of two minds whether to continue it after that time or not.

The excess is £50 per rabbit so if both come down with the same thing then it will cost me £100 anyway. Of course pet insurance is one of the things you hope that you wont have to claim on, but we paid out £100 to Petplan over the 11 months we had Luna, and the one time we needed where she developed bloat and passed away at the vets it we were only eligible to claim for £8 of the vet fees so we just didn’t bother claiming for such a piddly amount. I’m sure I read somewhere that rabbits over the age of 5 aren’t covered, or I may have misread that :?

I think I will continue it in the end, because we have switched back to the more expensive (but *incredibly* rabbit savvy) vets so we will probably end up getting bigger vet bills that we need the insurance for and if both of them come down with something at the same time (like bloat) then it will be £100 out of our pockets but the insurance can cover the double-whammy of the rest of it.

Can't believe I just held a debate with myself and came to my conclusion :lol:

I get 6 weeks free Petplan 'charity cover' with my two (still unnamed!) but I’m of two minds whether to continue it after that time or not.

The excess is £50 per rabbit so if both come down with the same thing then it will cost me £100 anyway. Of course pet insurance is one of the things you hope that you wont have to claim on, but we paid out £100 to Petplan over the 11 months we had Luna, and the one time we needed where she developed bloat and passed away at the vets it we were only eligible to claim for £8 of the vet fees so we just didn’t bother claiming for such a piddly amount. I’m sure I read somewhere that rabbits over the age of 5 aren’t covered, or I may have misread that :?

I think I will continue it in the end, because we have switched back to the more expensive (but *incredibly* rabbit savvy) vets so we will probably end up getting bigger vet bills that we need the insurance for and if both of them come down with something at the same time (like bloat) then it will be £100 out of our pockets but the insurance can cover the double-whammy of the rest of it.

Can't believe I just held a debate with myself and came to my conclusion :lol:

That's impressive, maybe you're developing a split personality? (joke!;))

Oh and btw buns are covered for life (i.e. past the age of five) with petplan

Petplan cover for the buns entire life as long as you keep paying the premium. You really need to start their cover before the age of 5 though or I think it is more expensive.

Im really debating where or not to get insurance as with Blackie having a blockage it cost £265 for him and would have cost more if he survived so i would like to know that the buns would be able to get the treatment they need without the nasty vet bill at the end even if i do have to pay the excess.
But then what if im paying all this money and somethings they dont cover like Fudges dentals etc...so i dont know if its worth saving or paying for insurance :roll:

Im really debating where or not to get insurance as with Blackie having a blockage it cost £265 for him and would have cost more if he survived so i would like to know that the buns would be able to get the treatment they need without the nasty vet bill at the end even if i do have to pay the excess.
But then what if im paying all this money and somethings they dont cover like Fudges dentals etc...so i dont know if its worth saving or paying for insurance :roll:

Thats why I havnt bothered as they wont cover dentals :(

Back