• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much A&P do you feed??

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
I'm just being nosey really :lol:

I feed all my buns on A&P, I switched them to it from SS because it was way too expensive once I had more than four to feed.
Having seen a few people on here saying that their rabbits are losing condition on A&P, I wonder if the amount being fed is part of the problem.

I feel that I feed mine a fair amount more A&P than I did SS.
All of my rabbits are excellent hay eaters, some will even leave pellets and veg half way through to go and eat the fresh hay. They do nice healthy poo's... and are in very good condition, lovely soft fur etc. They all maintain their weight nicely, even Poppy who has always had a tendency to drop weight more easily than most.

I bought a cheap set of measuring spoons from Ikea and use one of those as my food scoop... each rabbit is given a 100ml scoop of pellets a day.

I have played with how much they get and this seems to be the magic amount for my rabbits :D

Mine get double the amount of A&P as they did SS, it's slowly increased to combat the weightloss some of them have experienced.

Honey has about 8 A & P pellets a day and four Science Mature. When I've finished this lot I will put her on Science Selective as Wesley is on it and she wants his food not hers :roll: I don't have a problem with A & P but she is a house rabbit I don't know whether outdoor buns need more.

Mine are fed some A+P (left over), some SS and Wagg Optinum.

I found mine lost too much weight on A+P :roll:

Honey has about 8 A & P pellets a day and four Science Mature. When I've finished this lot I will put her on Science Selective as Wesley is on it and she wants his food not hers :roll: I don't have a problem with A & P but she is a house rabbit I don't know whether outdoor buns need more.

8 single pellets?? my frenchies get a full bowl every day,we have just bought a hay bale so they love munching on that now instead of the petshop hay!
I know some of you believe you should ration the pellets but you wouldnt have 8 cornflakes would you!

8 single pellets?? my frenchies get a full bowl every day,we have just bought a hay bale so they love munching on that now instead of the petshop hay!
I know some of you believe you should ration the pellets but you wouldnt have 8 cornflakes would you!

Bunnies don't need to have pellets though and many are fed on a purely hay and veg diet and do well on it. Limiting pellets means more hay is eaten which is better for their teeth and their digestive system :)

I would compare pellets more to sweeties than cornflakes, they are a luxury item, many rabbits do fine without them full stop.

But if you overfeed pellets Bun wont have a diet based on 80-90% hay/grass. This will store up trouble in the future re Dental issues and obesity.

A full bowl of pellets between 8 Frenchies seems reasonable but a full bowl each would be way too much IMO

My bunnies get A&P Breeders/Grower pellets. The giants/large bunnies get just enough to cover the bottom of the rabbit bowl, twice a day. The small/medium bunnies get half that. My oldie (10 years old) gets the same amount as a giant. And my large bunny that has needed two dentals gets the same amount as a small bunny so he has to eat more hay... :shock::D

All my bunnies are in excellent condition with nice coats, none of them overweight or too skinny.

Vera

My pair get a tablespoon of A&P as they are a bit bigger than the others and eat plenty of hay and do nice big golden poos.
Fudge gets a teaspoon of A&P and a pinch of excel when ill or on treatment(about 4/5 pellets), she doesnt eat alot of hay and get a bowl of varied veg everyday.
Skye and Gizmo get a teaspoon of A&P and half a teaspoon of excel as we are just changing them over to A&P but have been doing it gradually since they are VERY reluctant to change pellets :roll:

In summer Millie and thumper (bonded pair) only get veg and hay everyday and in winter time they also get pellets, only because when on pellets in summer they gain a bit of weight because they got so lazy :roll:

She has spurs on her back teeth and needs to eat lots of fibre. She's also a minilop so doesn't need as much food as Wesley. You don't have to feed rabbits pellets they can live on a hay only diet. She has herbs and veg in the morning, grass and dandelions and dried herbs in the afternoon. Wesley only gets a few pellets as well. I've had to cut Wesley's down as suggested by the vet as he was getting a bit tubby.

Last edited:
Back