• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lapizole - opinions?

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Lapizole have changed their pump to a 'paste' to worm rabbits. It is aniseed flavour and you only have to do a 28 day course when your bun is at risk. You can do a 5 day course as preventative care every 3 months but they don't promote this as necessary.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? The paste comes with a 1ml syringe, which I think is much better that the 'graduations' you get with the panacur.

Lapizole have changed their pump to a 'paste' to worm rabbits. It is aniseed flavour and you only have to do a 28 day course when your bun is at risk. You can do a 5 day course as preventative care every 3 months but they don't promote this as necessary.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? The paste comes with a 1ml syringe, which I think is much better that the 'graduations' you get with the panacur.

I use lapizole here as it is so much cheaper than panacur, haven't seen the new paste though! I thought the pump was easy enough, wonder why they have changed?!

I use lapizole here as it is so much cheaper than panacur, haven't seen the new paste though! I thought the pump was easy enough, wonder why they have changed?!

Cheaper?, we find Lapizole very expensive and so decided to stick with Panacur, can I ask how much you pay for Lapizole Kris?

Cheaper?, we find Lapizole very expensive and so decided to stick with Panacur, can I ask how much you pay for Lapizole Kris?

Around £13 for a 100ml bottle... is Panacur cheaper? :oops:
I thought as there are around 30 buns here, Lap worked out cheaper!

Around £13 for a 100ml bottle... is Panacur cheaper? :oops:
I thought as there are around 30 buns here, Lap worked out cheaper!

Panacur is the same price for a 100ml bottle but last I heard it was more concentrated so you used less, thus 100mls of Panacur would worm more rabbits than 100mls of Lapiole.

Ahh, i needed to order more, so good i hadn't done already!
Will get panacur liquid :D What is the exact name of the liquid?

Well... assuming they average 2.5kg it's 0.5ml per day which equates to 14ml for 28 days, per 2.5kg rabbit, which is about 7 rabbits. Obviously some will weigh more than this and others less. :)

PS: I think P&P is free for this item on vet-uk.

Well... assuming they average 2.5kg it's 0.5ml per day which equates to 14ml for 28 days, per 2.5kg rabbit, which is about 7 rabbits. Obviously some will weigh more than this and others less. :)

PS: I think P&P is free for this item on vet-uk.

Awesome!
Its a shame i can't find any ivermectin 0.8% 10ml on their site as i need that too!

I never liked the lapizol because trying to pump 6 times into a reluctant bunnies mouth for a "big" bunny was too hard & much easier to syring the liquid or put the paste onto a spring green leaf. I might be more interested in it now but only if you can get it online as my vet charges an extortionate amount for lapizol.

I never liked the lapizol because trying to pump 6 times into a reluctant bunnies mouth for a "big" bunny was too hard & much easier to syring the liquid or put the paste onto a spring green leaf. I might be more interested in it now but only if you can get it online as my vet charges an extortionate amount for lapizol.

Wholeheartedly agree! It was 7 'pumps' for one of my buns - nightmare! Panacur 10% liquid is so much easier (and cheaper). My biggest bun needs only 0.7ml per dose.

Wholeheartedly agree! It was 7 'pumps' for one of my buns - nightmare! Panacur 10% liquid is so much easier (and cheaper). My biggest bun needs only 0.7ml per dose.

I was going to try lapizole until I worked out that Mango Fattyharebit would need 4ml a day- for 28 days: no thanks. And also the rep wouldn't give me a freeby so I'll stick with panacur :)

please note that the ec expert adn many other vets at rwa conference were sayign that the 9day course is pointless as the original study was only done on 16 rabbits and thus was proved not to be a fair trial. that pannacur should be given for 28days if you feel the rabbit has been in contact with a n infected bun as the 9days is pointless. jsut adding this in case anyone else not read about the top ups being poiuntless. it may be different in a rescue or boarding facility situation though so you would need to contact your vet x

please note that the ec expert adn many other vets at rwa conference were sayign that the 9day course is pointless as the original study was only done on 16 rabbits and thus was proved not to be a fair trial. that pannacur should be given for 28days if you feel the rabbit has been in contact with a n infected bun as the 9days is pointless. jsut adding this in case anyone else not read about the top ups being poiuntless. it may be different in a rescue or boarding facility situation though so you would need to contact your vet x

Did they still recommend 9 days as a precaution or just to treat with 28 days in high risk situations?

Did they still recommend 9 days as a precaution or just to treat with 28 days in high risk situations?

The speaker said that he saw no point (no evidence to prove necessary) in giving a 9 day preventative dose as it was only acting while it was being given - so after the 9 day dose, the bunny was no longer protected (I think that was the gist of it). The trials that were done, only showed that the dose given for 9 days had effect during the 9 days and have no lasting benefit.

Anyway, basically, he thought it pointless and that if required, it should always be given as a 28 day dose as a curative not a preventative.

that 9days was fairly pointless the bun could have a 28day course initially but then no need to do 9day top ups... jsut another 28day cours eif felt had been with infected rabbit, however it may differ if new bunnys coming and going i dont know i only have my pet buns! :) also im not a vet and got this information 2nd hand i was not at the conference so do check with a rabbit savvy vet. jason(vet in glos was there and confirmed this to me he didnt mention about boarding etc as it wasnt something we were discussing.)

Back