• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More castration aftercare questions!

GBNI

Warren Scout
Ok, still trying to talk the parents into letting Adrian stay inside for a few days following his castration next week. :roll: I think they think I will want him to stay inside all the time!

Is he allowed his little heatpad following surgery? And what is best to let him sleep on and keep him warm? I have brand new dog towels that I was going to use and maybe those little puppy training pads incase he has problems using his litter tray. It normally has straw in it but was going to put Carefresh in instead so it won't be sore on his wound?

What else do I need to do?

Worrying about it now!

A heatpad after his op' will be fine and very helpful to him.
The wound itself should be tiny and really not much of a problem as far as his bedding is concerned as long as the bedding is clean and dry.
He should not have a problem using his litter tray, although if he is still very sleepy when you get him home he may wee elsewhere at first.
Aslong as he has a nice warm clean and dry bed, a bowl of fresh water and some tastey food and hay available he should be almost back to his normal self within 24 hours.
You'll just need to make sure he is eating, pooing and weeing normally. Also check his undercarriage a couple of times a day to make sure the wound is clean and dry and the area is not looking very inflammed, bruised or swollen.

:)

I would definitely keep him inside for the duration of the post-surgery. At least for 7 days. It helps his healing and you should closely observe the little guy.

In particular, check if there is any swollen on the skin of the testicle area, that's blood rushing back to that area, if so, use ice cube 15 min. twice a day.

Back