• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

seperating bonded buns...

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Due to bailey going to the vets tomorrow, i can't take alyssa as she gets v stressed there, so im going to put her in a different crate for the day is that ok?

all im thinking, is then she doesn't declare it to be her territory in their crate?!

I would advise against separating them. She may be more stressed but Bailey will be less so. Do you really want to risk having to rebond them?

If Bailey gets very stressed then I'd take him, but if Alyssa will just stress herself out being there then I'd probably want to leave her behind. When Rubix had his teeth done I took Sophie because he was such a stressy boy & her being there helped him got through it. You know your bunnies best though :)

alvin was admitted over night to the vets and pearl was good as gold when he came home... if it was me and i was worried about a fragile bond (thankfully i dont have to :love::love:) i would take the other bunny with me to pick up the poorly one, that way they get the drive home together :D

i think we underestimate the love bunnies have for one another tho, 1 day will not make them forget they are inlove im fairly certain of it :love::love:

At the conference, Anne M said the main problem is that their main association is via smell, so they sort of say "you look like my friend, but you don't smell like my friend" after a bun has been at the vets, and that's what can cause the problem more than the actual separation for the day.

If you really can't take them both, I would get a towel and give him a really good rub over with it before he goes, so that his smell gets on the towel. Then when he comes back you can rub him over with it again, then rub her with it and rub it back on him, so that you transfer a bit of the 'original' smell down and minimise the 'hospital' smells.

At the conference, Anne M said the main problem is that their main association is via smell, so they sort of say "you look like my friend, but you don't smell like my friend" after a bun has been at the vets, and that's what can cause the problem more than the actual separation for the day.

If you really can't take them both, I would get a towel and give him a really good rub over with it before he goes, so that his smell gets on the towel. Then when he comes back you can rub him over with it again, then rub her with it and rub it back on him, so that you transfer a bit of the 'original' smell down and minimise the 'hospital' smells.

i think the smell thing is why pearl groomed Alvin from head to foot when he came home :love::love::love: it really was beautiful to watch

Thanks ladies.

Bailey is not phased by the vets at all, however Alyssa gets terrified to the point where she thumps constantly. x

I think the problem is, Bailey & Alyssa have a somewhat strained bond already. :?

They have been fine though recently, infact they've been outside in a new area without any issues.

TBH, im going to have to risk it as the vets do not want to put alyssa through it, i really don't know what to do.

If i had to seperate perma, i would have to. x

Nick has taken BOTH bunnies to the vets today as he made the decision it will be easier for them, ie familiar.

thanks for all your help!! he read this thread!

Back