• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just done a 'rescue' and need some advice!!!!

matjoliver

Warren Scout
Hi. Well, the title kind of says it all. Firstly, sorry if I'm in the wrong section. Anyhow, I was working at a customer's house today and noticed a bunny hoping around in a run. Being a bit noisy, I went over to have a look and say hello. Noticed her butt was really really filthy with sticky poos and started chatting to one of the groundskeepers there who basically said it's been like it for a while, the kids are away at boarding school and petrify her when they come home, treating her like a ragdoll. They mentioned about maybe giving her up as they (the groundskeepers) are left to look after her but don't really have the time, so I offered to take her. I couldn't leave there without helping her out, poor thing :(

I feel a bit bad for removing her from a massive enclosure (she was on her own) and bringing her to our smaller setup - but at least she'll have bunny and human company and us to look after her

The main thing is - how on earth is the best way to bond three bunnies?!?! :? We've got Gizmo and Marley (neutered female and male) who are bonded. What's the best way to introduce Daisy (spayed) to the other two. One at a time, or all together?

Also, is two females and one male ok for a trio, or should we now look at getting a second male?!

I hope we've done the right thing and all advice would be very very appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post!!! :wave: Thanks

Congrats on rescuing that poor bun! Another bunny hero in our midst. :)

I have absolutely no good bonding advice, but it might be a good idea to get this bun thoroughly checked out before exposing her to your other buns. You have no history, so you don't know if she was vaccinated or not. Is she spayed? I think all you can do is look for a scar to determine that one. Plus, if the sticky bum thing is coccidiosis, it is highly contagious and might spread to your other buns.

I would keep her alone a bit and get her fully checked before bonding her. This will also give you a chance to get to know her personality and give her a chance to build trust with you. After being harassed by kids, she might be a bit withdrawn and traumatized.

But congrats on the new bun and let us know how we can help! Someone should be along with bonding advice soon enough. :)

I was told by the head groundskeeper she has myxi, but needs a booster, but no VHD. Is spayed - used to live with another bun, but that one died.

Thanks for the heads up re sticky butt - I think it could well be extremely poor diet - she was not fed any hay - just a big bail of straw with muesli/nuggets topped up with a big treat stick every day and a few veggies!!!

We have yet to clean her up as am waiting for the other half to get in, but will wait until she's checked up before introducing.

You need to quarantine the new rabbit from your existing rabbits I think for at least a week just in case it has anything before you start bonding.

Yeah, will do that, thanks.

Have spent about 45 minutes giving her a good clean, which I think she knew we were doing for her own good as she was really well behaved.

Noticed she had fur missing on the inside of her back legs, looks like she might have been gnawing at them - she also didn't seem to have much fur on her limp tail. Poor thing.

Well done you on the rescue! Another bunny who will have a decent life now! She may have urine scalds and that is why her fur is missing!

Give her a big nose rub from me!

I'd definately get her checked over by a vet to make sure everything is okay. After she is back to full health and happy in the new environment you can try introducing her to your existing buns. 1 male and 2 females is certainly a combination that can work but it will depend very much on the individual buns. Find somewhere neutral and give it a go. It's the only way you will know for sure :)

I would think about getting her a neutered male if you could make room for one more :) you could try your local rescue centres, as they always have buns that need pairing up. They are all vaccinated and neutered too :)

I would think about getting her a neutered male if you could make room for one more :) you could try your local rescue centres, as they always have buns that need pairing up. They are all vaccinated and neutered too :)

So have 2 pairs or one group of 4?

We're gonna try and get a vet appointment for tomorrow. Her temperament seems very much like Gizmo's - very docile and quite happy being stroked - where Marley has more energy than I've ever seen!!!! I guess we'll only know by trying bonding :)

Back