• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fuzzy displaying disturbing behaviour, advice needed

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
When Fuzzy arrived here in december he was in a lot of pain and discomfort and was very friendly and a bit subdued.

He has had lots of diagnostics done and the only problem we could find were his teeth, which are pretty bad.

we have now got his pain under control and he is eating better than ever and putting on weight, in fact he is doing really well.

The problem is his aggressive behaviour, which has become steadily worse as he has become better in himself:? The last 2 days have been so bad we are actually really upset to watch it and have rung the vets for a phone consult tomorrow.

He has bitten Steve badly a week or so ago, basically savaged his hand for no reason and I have to be really careful with him as he needs brushing every day and normally he is hanging off clothing when I do it. That we could cope with, but the last 2 days are bizarre.

He has been out in the massive run in the garden, which he loves and will binky about but then he starts to attack the tunnel. it is one of the old burgundy stripped ones from pets at home. He just launches at it and goes crazy kicking at himself and falling on his back. He has ripped the tunnel and there is his own fur blowing all over the garden. We have never seen anything like it.

We think this must have a medical cause, but really don't think he is in pain.

Could it be a brain tumour? his teeth roots are in a bad way could they be causing some pressure on his brain, is that possible :?

We are really worried :(

Thank you, we are really, really worried about him.

We would be grateful for any suggestions as have no idea what is going on :(

Blimey Liz how scary :shock: :cry:

Does he have any other neurological signs, eg nystagmus, especially vertical, or unequal pupil reaction to light stimuli?

Blimey Liz how scary :shock: :cry:

Does he have any other neurological signs, eg nystagmus, especially vertical, or unequal pupil reaction to light stimuli?

I haven't noticed anything, but then I tend not to get too close to his face if possible.

In his cage in the evening he is so chilled and flopped out in his litter tray, something he never did when he first arrived.

I really don't know what it could be, but I would try and isolate the cause of his outbursts (if there even is one). He seems to attack the tube, but what else? And when is he calm? Might be helpful to keep a log of his episodes and see if you can find anything in common with each one. What he ate before it happened, what time of day, what other bunnies/people were around, what the object was that he attacked, etc.

That's all I can think of to help. Sorry I couldn't help more. :(

I haven't noticed anything, but then I tend not to get too close to his face if possible.

In his cage in the evening he is so chilled and flopped out in his litter tray, something he never did when he first arrived.

So has the more recent dramatic aggression only occured outdoors ?
Could it be that he feels threatened in some way whilst in the run. Particularly from above. Birds, aircraft, things he would not encounter indoors.
If you covered the entire lid of the run I wonder if he'd still freak out :?

He hates Steve and attacks him regularly for no reason so I thought it was because he was out in the garden some of the time. But we both came indoors and watched him from the bedroom window and he carried on attacking the tunnel for about an hour all on his own :(

When he is free ranging in the house when the weather is bad he also attacks the cats and we are worried that he may hurt one badly or that they may turn on him. Sometimes he will jump up on the sofa for a cuddle and a nose rub, other times he will jump up just to bite us:?

So has the more recent dramatic aggression only occured outdoors ?
Could it be that he feels threatened in some way whilst in the run. Particularly from above. Birds, aircraft, things he would not encounter indoors.
If you covered the entire lid of the run I wonder if he'd still freak out :?

He has been in the run a lot, he seems a lot happier in there than being in the house but we can't keep him outside permanently because of his coat. He binkys around the run like mad and flops out more than he does in the house but then for no reason he attacks the tunnel ( it is the only thing in the run) but this has only started in the last couple of days. Nothing seems to trigger it, he just seems to go into a frenzy.

he use to live free range in the garden in his last house, which is why he was in such an awful mess when we got him, but he does really love being outside.

He has been in the run a lot, he seems a lot happier in there than being in the house but we can't keep him outside permanently because of his coat. He binkys around the run like mad and flops out more than he does in the house but then for no reason he attacks the tunnel ( it is the only thing in the run) but this has only started in the last couple of days. Nothing seems to trigger it, he just seems to go into a frenzy.

he use to live free range in the garden in his last house, which is why he was in such an awful mess when we got him, but he does really love being outside.

Just had a thought, have you checked under his 'armpits' for fur felts. My Cashie Mr Bean gets them. Its so hard to prevent them as clipping the fur in the 'armpits' is a delicate proceedure. If Mr Bean gets a fur felt in his 'armpit' he gets unpredicatbly grumpy as the felt can pull the skin tight. Mr B HATES his 'armpits' being groomed but I have to be firm with him otherwise he gets a fur felt. I missed it the first time it happened because the area is so inaccessible.

No his armpits are tangle free. I normally support him under his arms just so I can have a good feel underneath when I carry him out to the run. He had a really good groom today and only had to have one tiny tangle cut from his chest. He did spend most of the time clamped on to the sleeve of my sweatshirt though:roll:

What I don't understand is that when he came to us he was matted solid, he could hardly walk properly, and his skin was red raw, even a couple of his toes were broken where they had got caught in his fur. Yet he sat patiently for 5 days while I brushed and cut his fur away. He was so sweet and friendly then.

Is he bonded? Could he now he's feeling better just be expressing a bit of bordom & frustration especialy with so many other bunnies around.....

As he was left in such a state at his old home could it be now that he feels secure and he is taking out his pent up frustration on the ones that he feels safe with,whether that is you or the tunnel in his run.Why don't you take the tunnel out his run and put something different in there and see how he reacts

He isn't bonded, we tried to bond him but he ripped a chunk out of summers eye lid and when I had to seperate him he bit me really badly. I would love to be able to bond him with a girly but it would be impossible to supervise as we just can't handle him.

Like I said his aggression with us isn't a problem as such. Its just the way it has deteriorated in the last couple of days, it is so frenzied I have never seen anything like it, yet inbetween he will binky about quite happily. He always comes bounding over when you call him in for his tea, but bites you when you pick him up to bring him in :?

The attacks on the tunnel have to be seen to be believed, I was nearly in tears watching it as he seemed so distressed :(

How's his eyesight? Is the tunnel used by other buns? Could it be that he's smelling other buns on it and attacking it because he thinks there's someone else in his territory :?

It all sounds very distressing, I do hope you manage to get to the bottom of it xxx

How's his eyesight? Is the tunnel used by other buns? Could it be that he's smelling other buns on it and attacking it because he thinks there's someone else in his territory :?

It all sounds very distressing, I do hope you manage to get to the bottom of it xxx

I wondered that too but no other bun has used the run in a couple of weeks and it has only started in the past 2 days. He is also still happy to sleep in the tunnel so I'm not sure the tunnel is the issue it just happens there :?

His eyesight seems ok, he doesn't miss a trick :). When he arrived he certainly couldn't see as the fur was matted over his eyes and solid with discharge :(

I would definitely remove the tunnel if its causing him distress and give him something else to sleep in
- or remove the tunnel in the day and only give it him to sleep in at night.

Do you think it could be the pattern of the tunnel or even the pattern of the tunnel when it moves thats bothering him? Has Steve been wearing a stripey jumper when handling him? Is it that he can see the pattern in the day but not at night?
Is the tunnel covering a place he wants to sit so hes cross with it?

Maybe when he was free-range before, there was a srtipey cat he didnt like or something like that?

What about washing and drying he tunnel, then wiping a towel over him then the inside and outside of his tunnel so it hs his smell on it?
See if he's calmer without the tunnel and give him a box or something plain instead?-Sue:wave:

Fuzzy only goes in the run during the day in nice weather and when we are in. He is a house bun the majority of the time. He has been happy running through the tunnel so far today:)

Like I said I don't think the tunnel is the problem as he has used it for the past few months with no problems until Sunday.

He use to live happily with a toddler and a cat before.

We are going to try to film it today if he starts again and we are still waiting for the vet to ring :)

Back