• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing fur back to full glory after illness - help?

HelB

Warren Scout
Hi again
Just wondering, if anyone saw my thread earlier about possible mites I am just wondering about after care (once my bun is back to full health).

Someone once recommended some vitamins to add to food?water that helps fur get back to its full glory - but i cant remember the name. As my Ruby is a lionhead I would love her coat to look amazing once we have sorted out the infestation problem. (She has a good diet)

I know in humans drugs arent good for anything else apart from treatment (when I had a massive op my hair was in terrible condition until it grew out and you could definately see the part of my hair growth from when I was ill) and I just wondered whether the same applies to rabbits.

If you are feeding a good quality pellet such as science selective plus plenty of hay/grass and some veg there should be no need for supplements and some can do more harm than good.
Some people swear by assisi grooming lotion although i've never used it myself :)

I had been using SS but due to shortage at the place I normally got it from they have been on Excel lite (high fibre) for the past month and half. Had no problems with this or the diet.

I think i'm just over worrying cos she looks so dull compared to how she was. I cant wait till she's 100% and I can post some happy pics!

I had a bunny with severe mites and his fur was very matted. I used the assisi grooming lotion and it was amazing. it helped the skin as well as allowing me to get the mats out of the fur much easier. Withing a couple of weeks he looked like a new bunny!

Brushing every day can also not be underestimated! A flea comb can help comb out the "dandruff" from the mites, and a regular soft brush can smooth over the fur. My bunnies don't really enjoy being brushed, but they settle and take it when they have to. :lol:

Back