• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zinzan is really poorly - E Cuniculi

toffee

Mama Doe
Zinzan developed a head tilt due to EC last year but she recovered well on panacur. This saturday morning she was completely collapsed in her house - she'd lost all her balance and control of bodily functions.

I took her to the vet and they've kept her in hospital. Apparently she's mobile now but has stasis. The vet has treated with metaclopromide and I've asked him to give her a painkiller as well.

I'm going tonight to see her and I'll take some of her favourite treats. I think she'll recover from the EC if they can get her guts going. it doesn't look good at the moment though. She's 7 now so I suppose it's to be expected that things will start to go wrong.

I went to the hospital last night with various foods. The vet nurses had NOT been syringe feeding her which made me cross. She was a state - lethargic, miserable, not eating or going to the toilet, her face was covered in wee and she's ripped a toenail out and noone had noticed.

I syringe fed her for 2 hours and left instructions for the nurse when I left.

I phoned up this morning and she has pood and is much brighter. I told them to offer her leafy veg to encourage her to eat on her own and to syringe feed if she won't. Apparently she's been pushing her dry food around in the bowl but we don't know whether she's actually eaten any or not.

I don't know whether she's got enough control mobility wise to actually pick up the food to eat it. I'm going to phone the vet again this afternoon.

I'm a lot more hopeful now she's actually been to the toilet.

I send you good vibes for Zinzan, poor little thing... I know at clinics they have so many patients to look after that they are not always so accurate as we are...

sending <<get well>> vibes for Zinzan. If you need some rose leaves posted pm me ur address.-Sue:wave:

well- not especially rose leaves but just any type of juicy leaves or herbs to prompt their appetite...and rose leaves are the only thing out in my garden at the mo, so thats all I can offer you.

I sent various leaves to Oscarbunny when hers had myxi and she said it helped so thought I would offer you.

Dandelion leaves are best but 'fraid I havent got any at the mo.-Sue:wave:

Apparently she's been pushing her dry food around in the bowl but we don't know whether she's actually eaten any or not.

I don't know whether she's got enough control mobility wise to actually pick up the food to eat it. I'm going to phone the vet again this afternoon.

Sending you lots of good vibes for her *hugs*

When Lily had EC she could not physically eat from her food bowl as it was too difficult for her, so we scattered pellets next to her bowl so if she could manage to pick them up from the floor they were there and ready, otherwise we put some soft hay in (soft enough to stick up still and be 'accessible' but not too hard for the edges to poke her in the eye if she fell on it - I think it was orchard grass hay we used) and we also put some veg in that was easy to grab to keep her going. At the time though she did not have tummy problems, so you should adjust this advice to avoid veggie foods or anything that will aggrevate her tummy.

Basically anything that makes it easier for them to pick up and eat!

I hope she pulls through

Back